Thomas was taking some of his electronics apart that we had at his birthday party, and got bit by one of the printer corners that was sharp. It was a pretty good deep gouge in the side of his knee. When he started crying, I could tell that this wasn't a little thing. I could hear serious pain in the wailing. And it was 5 minutes before we were supposed to be at a dinner appointment. Briant and I examined the wound, and with all of our medical experience, :) decided to clean it and bandage it up instead of getting stitches. It's right at the bending point of the knee, so it would be hard to keep the stitches from being ripped out every time he bent or straightened his knee. The bleeding stopped quickly, so we felt good about our decision. After bandaging it up, things got funny. So I had to get the camera out.
Briant used one of his old whistle/flute packages to act as a cast so Thomas could keep his leg straight and the cut wouldn't get any larger. I was actually very impressed with this spontaneous ingenuity! I couldn't believe that his leg fit inside of it!
| Savvy couldn't help herself. She had to take the opportunity to play nurse with her doctor kit. It was actually a good distraction for Thomas. |
| Nurse Savvy helping Thomas put his socks and shoes back on. She has been the biggest help for him. She has a good heart--always feeling the need to help the "underdog" or those struggling in some way. I asked her if she wants to be a nurse when she grows up. She replied, "Yes, I do want to be a nurse, but I also want to be home with my kids. So maybe I'll just be a nurse until I have kids like you were a teacher before you had kids." :) It has been a week since the accident occurred and all is well. The gouge has filled in quickly with new fresh skin, to our amazement. We were hoping, and we figured it would happen, but we're still amazed. And Thomas is grateful that his prayers have been answered. Always the most important result of the pain we experience...increased faith. |
0 comments: