Along with the online program, I've been using other online resources such as singing LDS primary songs. The language is coming...slowly though, with everything else I have had to do the last few weeks to prepare for our pack-out. But it's coming. The hardest part about learning the Portuguese is trying to keep my Spanish at bay. The languages are so similar, so the Spanish is actually very helpful, but yet it keeps my brain from translating English words straight to Portuguese. My brain goes through an extra portal. So English to Spanish and then to Portuguese. I know the Spanish will get cancelled out eventually the more I speak, so I just keep trying to speak.
The other difficult part of Portuguese, is that there are two main variations of accents: "Brazilian" and "Continental." I am more drawn to the Brazilian because I'm more familiar with it with my dad and Bri speaking it, and I really do think it's prettier. However, in Angola, they speak Continental. So I'm trying to familiarize myself with both, however it gets hard to keep them straight. Both Briant and my mentor are very encouraging. They say that I have a good accent, which I appreciate, whether it's true or not. :)
| My mentor, Solange. :) |
0 comments: