I emailed my friend Louise last week when she texted me asking me how I was doing. I had to reply in an email back because it was too hard to summarize how I was doing in a text. I laughed though when she said that she had to read my email twice. I looked back at the email, and sure enough, I had a hard time swallowing all of it myself! I felt bad because it really was a lot of information and felt overwhelming. But this is my life right now! It's crazy! I'll spare all of the details. But I did want to write about "consumables."
We're allowed 2500 lbs of consumables to take with us to Angola to offset the high cost of food in Luanda, as well as to help our supply of food that might be difficult to find over there. I'm packing 1500 lbs of it now, and then next summer when we come back to the states for the summer, I'll ship off the last 1000 lbs.
The focus of the consumables should be liquids, because we aren't going to be able to get liquids through the pouch. So spaghetti sauce and other sauces, and even peanut butter is considered to be a liquid. Medicines, cleaning supplies, sun screen, etc. The hard part of this was to think about what we use and in what quantity we use it. How much peanut butter should I take? How many cans of food should I take? And once you get thinking about it, the list of liquid products you depend on, begins to grow. These pics will show some of what I decided we would want to have with us in Angola. I started at Costco. I wish we could have taken pictures of the looks on the faces of the people behind and around us in line!!! I don't even think the pics show the quantity of stuff we had because a lot of it is hidden underneath! It came out to $1250!
Two more trips to Walmart (I think we're up to $2,000 now--
I hope this shipment of stuff doesn't get lost!):
| Shampoo and conditioner, first aid supplies, over the counter meds, toothpaste, liquid soaps, cleaners, etc. |
I don't think I'm quite done yet. I still have a few hundred pounds left so I'll buy a few more things. I feel very lucky that we can order all of our dry goods through the pouch. We can order things at Walmart.com, amazon.com, or wherever, and just pay the shipping fees (if there are any) to the airport here in Virginia, and then it's shipped from there to Angola for free. That is how I will get our pastas, flours, clothes, shoes, Christmas presents, etc. That takes a lot of pressure off of me as to what I have to buy right now. I did remember to pack some Lice Elimination kits, just in case...that suggestion was given to me by the dental hygienist that cleaned my teeth last week. I had not even thought about that! It was a productive teeth cleaning. :)
0 comments: