In Angola, we had a scare when one
of our black box power transformers spontaneously lit on fire. Luckily
Bri and I were in the kitchen and were able to unplug and extinguish the
transformer, but we have been a little spooked by the possibility of fire ever
since. Now we have another experience to compound our
concern. The first Saturday in March, after the Thomas' ISL basketball
tournament finished, we grabbed the kids and a few friends and tried to go
bowling, only to learn that you have to have a "reservation" in
Latvia and there was nothing open until next Saturday (!). So we
pared our losses, picked up sundaes at the McDonalds at Spice Mall, and headed
home. Rhea and Celeste W., from the embassy, headed upstairs to
play, Bri and Thomas fired up the Wii for some Mariokart, and Rhea, Celeste,
and Savvy came down to be with us in the family room. We all settled in for a relaxing Saturday
afternoon in Pinki.
While Bri was playing Mariokart, he
said, "I smell smoke – is someone cooking?" I had just
been picking up in the kitchen and knew there was no one doing anything in the
kitchen, and once he pointed it out, I could smell it instantly and knew that
this was not burnt toast smell, but actually something burning. I quickly started going through the house
looking for the source of the smoke but called for Bri to help me because I
knew this was serious. It smelled like it was coming from upstairs,
so I ran up and found it in Rhea's room. Celeste and Rhea had made a
"fort" out of some stuffed animals and a blanket, and in so doing had
covered up the super-hot halogen light in Rhea's room when the light was off. Earlier in the day, after taking a picture of them (and lecturing
Rhea on climbing that high and putting too much weight on the armoire and curtains), I pulled the
heavies stuffed animals down and most of the blankets before they went on playing. 

Not thinking about the light underneath the remaining blankets, the girls turned the light on when we got back from our outing, and
left it on when they went downstairs to join the Mariokart fun. By the time we found it,
there was smoke everywhere, a six-inch diameter hole in the blanket that was
smoldering, several stuffed animals were smoking and reduced to red embers, and
it looked like we were about sixty seconds from a catastrophe. Bri
and I quickly pulled the blanket and stuffed animals off, got a window open,
and put out the glowing embers.
Rhea was very emotional about
the fire, the loss of a few old friends (stuffed animals that I grew up
with 35 years ago), and the near disaster. Thomas and Savvy showed
off their kid-safety embassy training and had the fire extinguisher
up in Rhea's bedroom almost before Bri and I had started to pull down the
stuffed animals. The two visiting friends were helpful too, as
Casey ran and got a few wet washcloths to put over our faces because of the
smoke. ;) We were worried about lasting smoke damage in
the bedroom and with Rhea's stuff (it was very smoky and smelled enough that we
didn't want Rhea sleeping in there for a while!). But we left the porch
door open for a few days and, remarkably, the smell aired out and everything
returned to normal. 
Our family said multiple prayers of
thanks that this learning lesson didn't come with a higher cost. We
also realized how blessed we were that the light hadn't been turned on right before
we left the house to go bowling because we would have returned to a house of ashes. The Lord has been good to our family and
shown us tender mercies throughout our lives abroad and before, and we are
grateful that He continues to do so and spared us more significant damage with
this fire!
0 comments: