Our day with Paulo

We love our friend Paulo.  I talked about him back in November when we put in a nomination for him to be the “Local employee of the month” at the embassy, which he received.  He is still one of our favorite drivers, with whom we never experience car sickness. :)  Paulo came to church with us on Sunday with his three adorable boys.  Seriously these Angolan children are beautiful.  And they’re so cute when they talk!  Paulo actually has four boys, but his youngest lives with his ex-wife so we didn’t get to meet him.  Paulo is a man of faith.  Every time he drives us somewhere he’s listening to his gospel music and he’s always ready to express his love for God and the Savior.  A few weeks ago we were pleasantly surprised to find out that Paulo was our driver to pick us up from church.  On our drive home, he expressed frustration with the priest of his church.  The priest did something that made Paulo feel that he cared more about the money he was making than about the people in his congregation.  I told him that he’s welcome to come to church with us anytime and if he had work off on Sunday some time soon, that we’d love to have him.  Briant went on to explain that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doesn’t have paid clergy.  Everyone serves.  We are all volunteers that are called to serve in different capacities of the church.  Paulo liked the sound of that and said that he wanted to come with us the next week.  So he did, and he brought his boys with him.  They are Bennie (nine), Claudio Divino (seven), and Hamilton (four) years old.  
We had wonderful meetings at church and then took everyone home with us for lunch.  The kids were bouncing around the house as I made lunch and Paulo visited with Briant.
The kids took a break from running around and watched a Bible cartoon while lunch 
was being made.

    
With our consumables arriving last week, we decided to have our kids’ favorite—taco soup with corn bread.  We also had my favorite gluten free brownies for dessert.  It's difficult to know what to feed the locals because we have different tastes, but I thought that the soup was a safe bet.  Everyone loved it luckily and the kids bounced around with even more energy after that!   
I love his large eyes and bald head!
This was our first time having local Angolan children in our home.  We had a few tears from our kids because they thought that Paulo’s boys were being too rough with their toys and were afraid something would break.  I think we may have had more toys than they were used to.  :)  I was a witness to the disaster created in the two bedrooms and the gusto with which it was done, so I spent more time in the rooms with the kids to make sure we avoided any major issues.  All is well.  We still can’t find some of Thomas’ lego men that he needs for a school project, but I’m sure they’ll show up soon.  The only thing that “broke” was a Despicable Me bouncy ball Thomas got for Christmas that the nine year old put in his mouth and chewed in half.  :) 
Cleaning up the "aftermath."  This picture was taken of Savvy's room after 5 minutes of Briant & I helping to clean.  We made it to Thomas and Rhea's room before that. I reminded my children that they aren't the epitome of cleanliness either. :)
We just loved having our friend Paulo in our home and seeing him in his fatherly role with his boys.  He told us about his upbringing and what we would call a “hard childhood.”  It amazed us both that even with the challenges in his life, and what would appear to be a lack of God’s hand in it, his faith is still there.  Or even more shocking, that it exists at all!  He is a wonderful example to me and I appreciate the reminder that even amidst the challenges and trials in our lives, we can find God and evidence of His love for us.  

Paulo appreciated the invitation to attend church and he said that he will come again next Sunday because he is not scheduled to work.  We look forward to seeing him again, and his boys.  :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment