The hour-and-a-half drive from Seville to Cordoba was lovely
-- a hundred miles of rolling hills full of olive tree groves that were lush
and green at this time of year, all very picturesque and bucolic and
Mediterranean. We arrived late afternoon
at Miguel’s spacious apartment, parked the van and unloaded our stuff, and
headed on foot towards old town for dinner.
The next morning we ate, got ourselves in order, and headed back across the Roman Bridge and up to La Mesquita.
This was something Bri and I had been looking forward to seeing for a very long time, and the kids mostly humored us. Cordoba was a Roman settlement (e.g., The Roman Bridge), and then became the seat of Moorish power and the Islamic Emirate in the eighth century and a renowned Moorish educational center with multiple medical schools and universities. There is a lot of hubris in Spain and Spanish history, and when the Spaniards finally drove out the Moors in 1236, the Spanish almost immediately started construction on a massive Catholic cathedral -- Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion -- smack dab in the middle of an enormous mosque. In the ensuing centuries, 37 chapels have been built inside the Mesquita, resulting in the marriage of Islamic motifs with Christian ones, sometimes in lovely harmony but usually in stark contrasts.
And of course Thomas had to do the dab. ;)
And then all of the arches caught our eyes. I couldn't get enough of the arches and their stripes!
Some artwork on the walls that we liked:
We were definitely in Spain--on the wall of the restaurant
were posters advertising the upcoming bull fights. At first, I was really bummed we didn't get
to see one (they were only on Sundays when we were there), but after watching
the movie Ferdinand recently, we're glad we didn't! It's hard to justify the treatment of those
bulls before they die!
Fortified, we headed
towards the famed Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos, the favorite residence and
court of King Ferdinand and Isabella.
The castle houses some very old Phoenician, Greek, and early Roman
mosaics and art which were beautiful; but the main draw for this Alcazar is the
extensive gardens.
Lemon-Orange tree! I could not believe my eyes, but these lemons and oranges were on the same tree. I inspected every angle to make sure I was seeing things clearly, and I was. Apparently someone had grafted them in together and they were growing on the same tree. But this was not the only one. There were a few trees like this. Fascinating! I had never seen anything like it before!
After Alcazar we headed back towards La Mesquita and explored the charming streets of Cordoba, including the picturesque Calleja de las Flores, before stopping for some ice cream.
Fortunately, we were able to hide
out there for a bit and duck most of a short rain storm. Bri and Thomas headed out in search of a clay
whistle Thomas had seen earlier, and the
girls and I browsed some shops.
Eventually, our time in Cordoba came to
an end, and we said goodbye to the old city, crossed the bridge again,
met Miguel and grabbed our stuff and
some gas, and headed on to Malaga for the night. We had to skip Granada given our late flight
in the day before, which was made easier by the fact that we couldn’t get
tickets to La Alhambra; I promised Bri he and
I would make another trip to Andalucia to see Granada and to revisit
Cordoba (and to see Ronda and to take our time through the lovely
countryside). Cordoba was all we hoped
it would be, and very romantic and picturesque
and a place that Bri and I both vowed to return.
0 comments: