Savannah: Middle school. I have lived in two different countries for my years of middle school. One was Latvia, one of the Baltic states in Europe, and the other was here, in the States. I have to say that my first year of middle school was a huge adjustment for me. The year before, I had a very relaxed schedule and one teacher for everything not encore related. Middle school was one teacher for every class. That meant that I had to get used to different ways of grading, submitting assignments, and the class structure.
6th 7th 8th
The thing that teachers usually want for the students is to do well, but also to have a trusted adult that they could talk to if things ever bothered them. That was my band teacher Mr. Martin in Latvia. He was the most funny, relaxed teacher I have ever had. It’s hard to explain how he was but let me say this: He was the most perfect teacher. Ever.
Our second and last year in Latvia, I was home schooled. That was 7th grade. That year was full of learning for me. I learned so much from my amazing mom that they don’t teach you in school. Sure, you have FACS class. But it’s not the same as cooking for a family. That year, I really got into sewing and crafts that by the middle of the school year, our house was full of little creations that I had made. My room in our house was sort of small, but filled to the brim with cardboard houses, drawings, paper origami and the like. My love of reading and writing were also kick started with homeschooling. I had time to read, and my mom chose wonderful books, some that we read together and others we read independently that were historical fiction that had to do with the countries we were studying. I also fit in time to read the entire series of "Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites." :) I loved the Cover Story writing curriculum my mom chose because I truly began to enjoy expressing myself and my creativity through writing. Now, I can't stop writing!
Because we started homeschooling, we had a free schedule. I had been begging my mom for horse riding lessons because the year before, I had been riding. So, we went to lessons and Thursdays were like Christmas. I would go to the stables and ride for an hour or two before going back home, but those hour(s) were like heaven to me.
Something else that I started in Latvia during
homeschooling in 7th grade was ASL. My mom bought me an online program and I
loved learning how to sign to songs I found on YouTube. When we moved here to
Falls Church, we were happily surprised to learn that they were starting an ASL
program at the middle and high schools! So I've been able to grow my ability
and love of ASL in 8th grade as well. My first few songs I learned were
"Audition, Fools who Dream," from the movie La La Land, and
"This is Me" and "A Million Dreams" from the movie Greatest
Showman.
I remember, when my dad had the day off or something like that, we would go out to Sigulda, which has castles and the most amazing views. My brother was still in school, but me and my sister were out exploring with our parents. It was nice to have that kind of freedom. I also loved doing my work laying on the trampoline with Rhea.
When we moved, everything changed. No flexible schedules, no horses, just school, school, school. But it’s been fun.

I’ve learned so much and have made so many friends. The library is a great place to socialize. I have met so many good people there. One of the best things about the library is that you become best friends with the librarians. All
in all, despite missing out on normal middle school life
the past few months with Covid, I have great memories of my middle school years.

Moving into high school is going to be scary, but something new is always good. Just like moving. I will meet new people and make new lasting friendships. Time for excitement!


0 comments: