First English class at church

I started teaching English classes at church this weekend.  Briant and I decided that teaching English classes during our time here in Angola would be a wonderful way to serve as a family.  We thought that we could handle doing the classes two Saturdays a month (2 hours each time) so we could still have the other two Saturdays free for whatever we wanted to do as a family.  We’re trying to account for those weekends where we may want to escape from the city to a beach or explore the provinces outside of Luanda which could involve hours of driving.  
For the first class, I prepared a lesson involving basic greetings and introductions along with a few primary songs like, the "Hello" song and "If you're happy and you know it."  We also sang the alphabet song and used it to help them spell their names.  We started introducing pronouns and a few ways to use the verb "to be."
Bri was super helpful sharpening pencils for me to pass out before class.  It was so fun to have him there in the English class to help as well.  At the embassy I teach by myself, so I love this opportunity to have him help me sing or model what we’re teaching.  He’s also handy when I’m trying to clarify the meaning of an English word in Portuguese and I don’t know how to say it.  The kids were helpful as well singing all of the songs.  They had a Primary activity at the same time so they were in and out, helping when they could.  These classes really are going to be a family thing, as everyone will be attending and helping.  I will be involving the kids in the set up and clean up of the class, singing, modeling things, leading some small group practices or games, and just being available for questions if someone needs help on pronunciation or wants someone to practice with.
Here's Rhea entertaining herself with a whiteboard during class.  She loves using the whiteboard to practice her own teaching.  She told me yesterday that she wants to be a teacher someday too.  :)
Getting ready for class to begin.  :)
 The first class went really well.  I think it was fun for everyone, including my family and I!  Thankfully, my wonderful mother-in-law and father-in-law sent us supplies to use to teach the classes including lap-size white boards with markers, pads of paper, pencils, pencil sharpeners, sight word cards, 3-ring binders, rulers, etc.  I think the students were even more excited for the free pad of paper and pencil they received than the free English class!  Branch members came, as well as some visitors that the missionaries had invited.  Today I found out that our branch president emailed the other branch presidents from the district to invite their members to attend the classes also.  Angolans are very motivated to learn English as I’ve seen from teaching at the embassy.  And we even had a few older men come to the class.  They’re a little slower in catching the pronunciation and remembering the meaning of everything, but they seem just as motivated as everyone else to learn.  
Here they are practicing with a partner.  We did a lot of practice work so they could get over their shyness right away in the first class.  I also had volunteer pairs come up and demonstrate their practice in front of the class.  By the middle of class, they had loosened up and were less fearful.
The first talk in Sacrament meeting, the next day, opened with a "How are you brothers and sisters?" in English.  He then went on to say that he's taking the branch English classes but that he prefers to give the rest of the talk in Portuguese. :) I hope these classes prove to be valuable in the lives of these wonderful people!

2 comments:

Post a Comment