Halloween




We had a great time decorating our apartment for Halloween a few weeks ago after our trip to Conda.  The kids definitely got into it, especially the girls with the decorating.  Seeing that things were under control in that department, Thomas went to the piano to add to the ambiance by playing a Halloweenish song in the background.  Decorating for the fall holiday reminded us of all the things we would normally be enjoying back home in the northern hemisphere--like cold weather, fall colors, candles, a warm fireplace, pumpkins, etc.  Traditions, especially ones built around the holidays, really do bring a sense of normalcy in the foreign service life.  I'm grateful for them and I love that my kids recognize their value as well, not only for us as a family, but for themselves individually.
We received a visit and treat from our home teachers that made us really feel like we were at home in the states.  The adorably wrapped candy above, were made by Sister W. (Lisa), wife of our home teacher, Brother W. (Mark).  She made licorice and caramels that were to die for!  She serves as one of the two primary teachers for my kids so they have a primary lesson in English every week.  Thank goodness they are here!  We love having Bro. W. every month in our home--he always comes so prepared with a "kid appropriate" lesson that my kids love.  And we sooooo appreciate his wife as well accepting the calling to teach my kids at church!  Briant and I fill in when she and Vicky (the other sister) are traveling, but we already do a lot of "teaching" at home, so it's nice that they can be taught the gospel by someone other than mom and dad. :)

Savvy helped me make our annual traditional ghost cookies with Nutter Butter cookies covered in white chocolate with butterscotch chip eyes.  Easy and yummy!
Halloween night was more low-key than last year, but somehow was still able to provide the energy and excitement levels that the kids are used to.  The American embassy families gathered at the embassy first before we jumped into vans and drove to two side by side apartment buildings where some other embassy families live.  Rhea dressed as Ana from Frozen, Savannah wanted to be Pocahontas, and Thomas was Briant's shadow.  Despite all of my suggestions, a shadow is what he wanted to be.  :)  I forgot my camera card back at our apartment, so I had to get pics from another embassy mom and Briant's cell phone which is marginal at best.  But at least we captured the memory! 
I looked at cutegirlshairstyles.com to get the idea for Rhea's hairdo from Ana's coronation day.  I did the best I could, but I think it turned out.  This little girl Sophia (below) wanted to get a picture with "Anna," so apparently Rhea was convincing.
The kids got to trick-or-treat at 6 apartments.  The individuals living there did a great job decorating their hallway for the kids, and one even had the lights off with "scary" music playing.
Janice dressed herself up, as well as her dog and the dog she was babysitting.  Cute!

After trick-or-treating, we went back to the embassy to watch Disney's "Tomorrowland."  The kids got to pig out on candy, snacks, and popcorn and be with their friends.
Overall, a fun night for everyone!!

2 comments:

  • Just US | November 4, 2015 at 1:26 PM

    Happy Halloween my friend! You did a great job on Rhea's hair and I love all of your kids' costumes!

  • Rachelle | November 4, 2015 at 8:59 PM

    I love the you get to do holidays like this, with the embassy! It was a warm night here, but we didn't get many trick-or-treaters, so it probably wasn't very different from what you did, with the exception of your fun movie night!

Post a Comment