Fall Festival Welcome

Two days after we arrived, the embassy held a “Fall Festival.”  This was a wonderful opportunity to get to know other families in the embassy community.  It was our first time to go to the embassy (except for Briant who reported to work the morning after we flew in).  They formally welcomed us along with a few other families that arrived a few months ago.  Everyone went out of their way to talk with us and include our children in the activities.  Our kids really fit right in.  There was another boy Thomas’ age, literally only a day apart in their birthday, as well as girls for Savannah and Rhea.  They had a number of “booths” or areas that the kids could participate in:  Face painting, jump house, apple bobbing, dart throwing, coloring, races, a photo booth, etc.  They also provided food.  The kids attacked the little embassy playground as well.  Briant and I were that our kids behaved so well and made friends right away considering that we showed up jetlagged and with 2 more nights of poor sleep, as well as kids high on sugar from all of the candy and sugar there.  We all left happy and excited to see our new friends again!  






Amy and her daughters Jesse and Becca.  We got to spend a month and half in VA getting to know Amy when she came out for consular adjudicator training.  She and I went walking together, ran errands together, etc. while I asked my zillion questions about life in Angola and got to know her family better.  She's a sweetheart--so glad we get to be here in Angola together!









There's a pool also (with salt water) that we can use anytime!


Upon hearing about another music filled night of sleep, our sponsors invited us over to sleep at their house that night, being a Saturday night that was promising another big night at the club.  Briant of course hesitated accepting the offer, but I did not.  Not really. J  Normally I would graciously turn the offer down, not wanting to put anyone out, especially because we really just met them.  But after thinking through the logistics of how it would work and if it could work with our kids, I told Briant that we should accept the offer so I didn’t have a breakdown.  J  I couldn’t handle another night of no sleep.  I was desperate!  And so we went to their house, and had a nice night of sleep and woke up to a wonderful breakfast with our new friends.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment