Embassy Language Class

Since October, I've been taking Mandarin lessons twice a week at the embassy, one hour each class.  Tong Laoshi is my teacher, and my classmates have been Kate, Amanda, and Ian.  I have really appreciated all that I've learned and the increase in my ability to communicate.  It has been a blessing for me and has been a motivation for me to get out of the apartment to learn, pick up our mail from the embassy, buy food we need from the commissary, run errands, etc.  And I've enjoyed getting to know my classmates.  Ian wasn't at class on this particular day, so just the ladies got to learn how to play Mahjong, a game that developed in China in the 19th century.  It's somewhat of a complicated game, so our teacher said that she was only teaching us how to play a basic level to start off.  We all enjoyed the game and left saying that we wanted to buy our own game off of Taobao to continue playing.  I still have yet to buy it, but I think our family would enjoy playing this together! David, Kate's son, has been coming to most lessons since I started coming.  He comes and watches a little program on a device and eats snacks, and does so well not disrupting the lesson.  Such a cute boy.  Sadly they're going to leave post in September to move to Thailand where Kate is originally from.  She's been a generous classmate and friend, always bringing little snacks or receipts that I could turn in with my VAT, etc.  Softspoken and pleasant.  I will miss her in class and in the embassy community! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment