Halloween

Some wonderful mothers here in the embassy and school communities organized trick-or-treating for our kids on Halloween.  Most oil companies are represented here, thereby bringing a large American ex-pat population here to Angola.  Most of them live in compounds outside of Luanda in a more upscale and quiet city called Talatona where the international school is also located.  They’re in gated/guarded neighborhoods with other amenities like yards, parks and playgrounds, tennis courts, etc.  Things we don’t have in Luanda!  So as you can see by all of the pictures, the kids love the green space and freedom to run around without worry.  My first thought driving around where we went trick-or-treating was that the landscaping and construction of the homes reminded me of California.  And the nice even temperature of the evening.  The houses that were “participating in Halloween” had a flyer in their window so we could easily know where to go.
Excited to see us show up during a game of musical chairs.

Savannah, on her own, takes on the job of doing Rhea's witch make-up.
Weirdly, Rhea was the only one of my kids that really felt like dressing up.  Thomas wanted to dress up, but part of his ninja costume was apparently packed in the UAB which had not arrived yet.  So he decided to wear black clothes and go as a “shadow.”  I would see him every now and then laying on the ground behind or in front of someone being their shadow.  I’m still amazed that he never got stepped on.  Savannah was going to be a doctor, but her mood changed and she decided that she didn’t want to be a doctor anymore.  These costumes were all worked out in VA weeks ago, so I thought we were good to go.  Anyway, another mom that was hosting a pre-trick-or-treat meal at her house, offered to let Savvy use one of her daughter’s many costumes.  But still, she wasn’t in the mood for anything.  So Rhea went as a witch, as planned, even though there was some drama there for a little bit too.  Savvy had put some dark makeup all over her face so she would look like the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz.  She also had a long green nose, hat, dress, and tights, which she thought were great.  Until…she stood next to a princess and Wonder Woman for pictures. J  She stood on her tippy toes and made me lean over for her to whisper in my ear.  “I want to be something pretty.”  She started taking things off and I thought we had lost her until I suggested that we take off the nose and we could wash her face and put a little lipstick on her so she wasn’t a “mean witch.”  That seemed to work or was at least enough to convince her not to make any major changes.  Briant was luckily there too and was key to the convincing—a dad plays an important role in helping his daughters know they’re pretty!

Note Thomas being a "shadow" on the ground.  :)




After seeing a lot of "scary" things in the Haunted Passage, Rhea asked, "Why do they do that?  It's scary.  I don't like that."  I tried to laugh about some of the stuff we saw and make light of it.  But she still wasn't sure why people even like scary stuff.




At the end with all of our loot.  Luckily a few kids came by to trick-or-treat where we were sitting but we didn't have anything.  So Savvy offered to give them some of her candy.  I thought that was a great idea to help get rid of the candy faster!

I bought a few cheap and easy Halloween decorations before we left Virginia, knowing that we wouldn't see our belongings for a while.  Nothing that Martha Stewart would be proud of, but they were good enough for us to do the job.  I was only able to put them up 4 days before Halloween. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment