After years of having dentists in the states tell us that we need to get braces on our kids, and "the earlier, the better," we finally got them on our 13 year-old Thomas. We didn't have access to orthodontists in Angola, and we were in Virginia for only 8 months after that, so we didn't think we should start the process there because we had heard that orthodontists will take the braces off and start over if you come to them with braces already on because they don't like to finish other dentists' work. And they charge you all over again for what they do. We lucked out, and are in a place where medical and dental services are cheap! The standard of care is not as high as the U.S., but it's cheaper anyway, so we're taking advantage of it.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, the dentists are very conservative here on when they start orthodontia work on kids. In the states, we were being pressured to get our kids into an orthodontist when they were 7 years old. And here I am in Latvia, asking the dentist why she's not putting braces on the bottom teeth too. She said that the roots Thomas' bottom teeth aren't as mature yet, so we need to wait, maybe 6 months. She also wouldn't start putting braces on Savannah's teeth just because of one baby tooth that she still has. She wouldn't pull the tooth because she wants to let nature take its course. Again, in the states, they have no problem pulling teeth (I myself had 8 teeth pulled when I got my braces). But when I asked why we pull teeth in the states, the dentist explained that we end up going through the phases multiple times waiting for the teeth to grow in instead of letting the teeth fall out, grow in, and then put braces on (maybe this is why orthodontists make such good money huh?). The logic is sound to me and I appreciate that she's not trying to make money off of me in that way! I'm hoping that we can get Thomas' bottom braces on this summer and Savannah can get her braces on as well. Unfortunately, Rhea will have to wait, and I'm guessing our next post won't be as cheap or as good. It's probably only going to be about $1500 per child instead of $6,000-8,000 as was quoted to me at a free consultation I took the kids to in Virginia when we moved back from Africa (it was going to be $150 per child but they waived it because I was referred by a current patient). Orthodontia work here in Latvia is a huge financial blessing for us!
Here's Thomas' memory and perspective on braces:
Getting braces felt fine. It did not hurt as much as I thought. My lips were dry so they started to bleed after having my mouth open. The first week with them on felt horrible. I kept feeling like my teeth were moving and I always felt like my braces were falling off when they were really not.
After the first week or so, my braces started to feel a part of my teeth. I eat gum, apples, and carrots all the time and my braces feel just fine. When I first got them on, I thought that they were going to distract me in my classes. They turned out to not though.
Brushing my teeth with braces is essential. I something, all of the sudden, swallow something from my meal before. You brush your teeth normal like you would without braces first. Flossing is a little harder. You have to other tools that also help you clean places into your mouth that cannot be
reached with a normal toothbrush.
Overall, I don’t mind my braces at all. I see that they are really moving my teeth in the correct place. I forget I have them on my teeth. When you eat, that is when you feel the braces. I definitely recommend them to anyone.









0 comments: