Finally, the day came when we could get braces on Savannah. At least the top braces. Funny story, but back in January when we had a consultation, the ortho said that because Savannah had one baby tooth left on the bottom, we couldn't put braces on. "Nature needed to take its course" and the tooth had to fall out on its own. Seven months later, I decided to take things into my own hands and I went to a different dentist, that only spoke Russian, and got the tooth extracted. We could see in an x-ray that the new tooth was in the right place, but the baby tooth was just held in tight by the neighboring teeth. So out it went. We were then able to make an appointment for the braces. Here in Latvia, orthodontia is a lot cheaper than in the states, so I've wanted to get at least Thomas and Savannah done here!
So the dentist takes x-rays, and then decides that even though all of her baby teeth were gone, the "roots weren't mature enough" to put braces on yet. So now we're waiting until December for that, and hopefully the ortho will be happy enough with their maturity. Hopefully we'll have enough time to finish everything up before moving back to the states!
Savannah's words now about her experience: My teeth don't look very good in this picture. I think it's because of the lighting. 

When the dentist was putting on the braces, they were pressing hard on my teeth. They were also putting the thing that sucks up the saliva.
I got to pick out the color of my bands, so I chose blue. The braces felt so weird on my teeth!
And it's weird to see them on my teeth! I've been wanting braces on my teeth for years, but I started to be afraid to get them since Thomas got them on. He has complained about the wires poking his cheeks and having to use wax, and he has complained about not getting to eat certain things like gum, popcorn, and sticky things, (but he still does).
So here are the cute kids and their braces!







0 comments: