After 7 months of waiting, we finally got our stuff! Our shipments from Latvia and Virginia both arrived in Beijing in September, but there was a problem with our red card application. Apparently SIA changed something after Bri filled it out, and we only got our stuff after head of GSO suggested that we apply for residence cards. That worked! We got everything! Over the seven months without our things, we had to buy all new coats, winter clothes, kitchen stuff, etc. that we already had. So now we have double of a lot of stuff!
Ahh, it's like seeing old friends!
A week or so after our UAB came, the HHE that we packed out of Latvia was delivered! We couldn't believe this day finally came! Here's our moving crew! Luckily Frank, on the left, spoke English well. They all worked hard and were pleasant and willing.
A week or so after our UAB came, the HHE that we packed out of Latvia was delivered! We couldn't believe this day finally came! Here's our moving crew! Luckily Frank, on the left, spoke English well. They all worked hard and were pleasant and willing.
As I was taking the inventory of the boxes coming in, Bri started tackling the home decor boxes with all of the fun knick knacks from our travels. It really was like seeing old friends! We haven't seen our stuff in almost 2 years!
The kids made room for boxes to come in, so when they got home from school, they were ready to unpack.
I had the movers unwrap all the bookshelves and exercise equipment and cut open all the boxes before they left. According to the contract, they will stay and help unpack. But I like to unpack and know what has been unpacked and where things are put, so I had them do the obnoxious part of cutting open the boxes. ;)
Once the bookshelves were unwrapped, Bri went to town emptying the book boxes. First things first for this guy. ;)

The kids made room for boxes to come in, so when they got home from school, they were ready to unpack.
I had the movers unwrap all the bookshelves and exercise equipment and cut open all the boxes before they left. According to the contract, they will stay and help unpack. But I like to unpack and know what has been unpacked and where things are put, so I had them do the obnoxious part of cutting open the boxes. ;)
Once the bookshelves were unwrapped, Bri went to town emptying the book boxes. First things first for this guy. ;)
It was so nice to get appliances that we've been missing for seven months!
And to finally get our piano after 2 years! We've missed making music with it!
Rhea was happy as a clam having all her stuffed animals here, her floor cushion, bed pillow, books, etc.
And just like that, the boxes were empty and out in the hall waiting to be picked up by the complex to recycle. I think it took us less than 12 hours to empty everything. Probably the shortest unpacking ever! I guess it helped to already be here seven months to think about where everything was going to go so there was no guessing once it arrived! We acted pretty quickly in getting pictures hung up within a few days as well. Nesting and settling!
Rhea was happy as a clam having all her stuffed animals here, her floor cushion, bed pillow, books, etc.
And just like that, the boxes were empty and out in the hall waiting to be picked up by the complex to recycle. I think it took us less than 12 hours to empty everything. Probably the shortest unpacking ever! I guess it helped to already be here seven months to think about where everything was going to go so there was no guessing once it arrived! We acted pretty quickly in getting pictures hung up within a few days as well. Nesting and settling!
Friends and colleagues have asked me if I'm glad our stuff arrived or if I'm ready to send it all back or throw it out. My response: I'm nothing but happy. Our "stuff" reminds me of where we've been, the memories we've made along the way, and how we've changed or progressed individually and as a family. It feels warm, cozy, and inviting. More like home!





0 comments: