Mom's torn calf


I tore my calf!  I was playing tennis with my friend Amy here at Kingstone on our court when she had some free time from taking care of Gordon her two year old.  We hit the courts as quick as we could as used our time as quickly as we could before she had to get her kids from school.  So, without thinking about it, we started playing without me stretching out.  Normally I would do a good stretch of my legs including my calves, my arms, etc., but today I was distracted and rushed.  Sure enough, a half hour into the games, I felt something weird as I ran to the ball and my whole calf cramped up into the worst charley horse times ten, and set myself on the ground.  The game abruptly came to an end as it was clear that I couldn't even walk!  Amy helped me up to the apartment, and I put my tens unit on it to see if it would help.  
I didn't know my calf muscle had torn and I was just trying to loosen my muscle.  The next morning when it didn't feel any better, dad and I decided I should go see a doctor.  We only have a month before we leave on our month long vacation around China where I will be on my feet walking and hiking for hours a day.  Luckily my friend Charmhee had a wonderful French doctor at Raffles Medical that she referred me to.  She diagnosed me quickly with an ultrasound, told me to stay off of it, and return the next week to see an orthopedist who could give me more instruction and guidance.  I'm always fascinated that anyone can make out anything from the ultrasound pictures, but I did see a dark area on the screen that was apparently the tear. ;)
I was so impressed with how organized the office was and how quickly everything happened.  They rolled me around the office in a wheel chair, and funny enough, the company name of the chairs was apparently "Miki."  ;)
I left the office in the wrap I came in with, but I left with crutches to help me stay off my feet.
One week later, I returned to see the orthopedist, but he wasn't satisfied with my wrap.  He felt that I needed to be in a cast to keep pressure off my calf completely and so I wouldn't use it.  It was a half cast, so it was held on with a few wraps.  Now I really couldn't put pressure on my feet because he angled my foot down so it wasn't flat when it touched the ground.  I could not walk without the crutches.
And here I am sitting on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table, staying off my feet.
And here I am again.  Still sitting with my feet up! 😂 Every day in fact three weeks!  I have had to skip Tai Chi, Rou li qiu, and even my Mandarin classes at the embassy because the embassy is too big for me to try to move around, and the pain of getting a taxi coming and going out of the apartment building, with crutches, is too much of a hassle.  And Bri and the kids have stepped in to help grab things for me to keep me from having to get up and use the crutches.  I've felt like a bit of a queen really asking people to get things for me or help me with something (not that I want to keep it this way!).  It's a time of simplifying life.  Which is funny because I told Bri that I would love it if life would just slow down for a few weeks so I could catch up on this blog, paperwork, trip planning, preparing for Savannah's birthday in a few weeks, buying clothes for the summer for the kids, helping plan Girls' Camp, etc.!  I guess my wish came true!  😅  Luckily I've come to learn and appreciate the fact that nothing happens in our lives that isn't for our development, learning, and progression.  I certainly have a whole new appreciation for those suffering from something that puts them in crutches!
I had one week with the wrap, another week with the cast, and then one week in a boot (I took myself out of the cast because it was hurting, and Thomas' podiatrist said that he thought I would heal better in a boot, and I agreed--why wouldn't I?  The boot is much easier! 
He argued that my muscle would heal and scab in a way that would tear again once I started walking with the cast came off and I thought that made sense).  So of my own accord, I put a boot on and was much more mobile!  I can finally pick up the house, get dressed, etc. with more ease!
I just went back to the orthopedist yesterday without a boot, and he approved of what I had done and he told me to do a few exercises a day to strengthen the calf.  He also told me to take the boot on our vacation in case I have pain again (the pain isn't completely gone yet).  As much as I want to say no to that suggestion, I know it's a good idea and I need to make room for it in my suitcase!  Or maybe I wear it at the airport and get some sympathy and get to board first.  ;)  Here's to hoping for a complete healing and no issues on our trip!  🙏

0 comments:

Post a Comment