Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was a nice, quiet day at home with each other.  In the morning we ventured out to an Italian owned grocery store called "Inter-market" that we thought might have pecans and cream cheese, but alas they did not.  Briant had searched a number of different stores on foot that week so I could make our traditional yummy dip, but only found a few small containers of cream cheese.  Luckily we found some pecans in the freezer that I brought with us last year, so I ended up being able to make a smaller plate of it.  We kept things low-key, and spent only about 1.5 hrs in the kitchen.  Mashed potatoes, store bought rolls, stuffing from a box, a turkey leg, and our traditional pumpkin cookies with chocolate and cinnamon chips.  Briant and I knew we were really just cooking for ourselves and that the kids would eat their favorite things, so we kept it simple.  Briant vetoed my pie idea knowing that he would be the only one eating them since I'm gluten free.  He found a little turkey wrapped in some sort of saran wrap at the store that was $70 USD, but not trusting the source of the turkey and not liking the cost for the small size, he passed.  Later in the week he found a large turkey leg, large enough that it made us think it had been on steroids!  It turned out to be very tasty, and perfect for us because we would prefer the dark meat anyway!While Briant and I cooked, the kids watched the old classic "Holiday Inn."  We usually watch it at some point during the holidays, so they asked if they could watch it.  All of the dancing and singing from the movie must have inspired them because they wanted to spend the night dancing and singing around the family room--they called it a "talent show."  Watching them together reminded me of my sister and I when we were young, doing our dancing and gymnastics for our family.  I still remember Misty's dance to Michael Jackson's "Thriller."  Good times.  Rhea has it in her genes.  ;)The kids performed a few songs they've learned in school, along with different variations of "Let it Go" from Disney's Frozen (no surprise there), and some Irish dancing.  We love Celtic music, so here are the kids performing their solo "River Dance" dances:
Here is Thomas' version of "Let it Go."
That weekend we also put up our Christmas decorations, including the long-awaited tree.  As usual, Thomas thinks of how he can contribute to the cause, and usually decides on providing music to set the mood for the occasion--Christmas music on the piano, while the rest of us decorated.We're anticipating that for the foreseeable future, a windowsill will be our "fireplace" for our stockings.  Not nearly as cozy, but it works. :)  I love the stocking holders that Briant and I have.  They came from Sandy, one of my young women's leader that gave them to us when we got married, almost 16 years ago.  I'm glad they didn't get stuck in a box that stayed back in storage!  It will be many years until we see that stuff again.
Another favorite that we're all relieved made it here, is a music box Grandma P. gave us back in 2009.  I found a pic from the year she gave it to us when Thomas was 5 and Savvy was 3 (Rhea was napping).  As the pic shows, the kids have LOVED that box and have moved it around the house to locations where they can hang out with it.  It plays a variety of Christmas songs while the train moves around the tree.  With as much as they've handled it, it's no surprise that the little star on the tree broke off and went missing years ago.  We're actually surprised that is the only thing that has happened to it.  :)
It is wonderful to have our full-size tree again this year (even if the top lights aren't working), and most of our ornaments.  I missed them last year!  The homemade ones with all of the sentimental value made it (along with some other favorites), so we're happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment