As assistant CLO, my portfolio has been Newcomers, Welcome, and Orientation with Events as well, until Nick arrived. Now I'm the alternate for events. But before Nick came onboard, I had planned a cultural dance exchange - one night of Hoedown, and one night of some sort of Chinese dance. We ended up getting the Local employee association made up of local staff to plan a night of Mongolian dance. The Hoedown was in October and the Mongolian dance was in November. The whole point was to bring us together, our different cultural dances, to learn from each other and have a way to connect with each other. It was perfect. I had everything planned, tickets sold, etc. for the Hoedown, and then Nick started. Perfect timing for him to help us out with the finishing touches like this WANTED poster and everything.
The kids weren't too keen on coming and dancing (I should say Thomas and Savannah - Rhea was excited!), and Bri came for a little bit because he wasn't feeling very good.
We found a Texan that teaches Hoedown classes to come and instruct us. Nathan was awesome. Just the right personality!
We all ended up having a great time, even my kids! And we all laughed together as we struggled to figure out the moves and dance together, Americans with Chinese.
Our favorite little kids, Molly and William H. from church.
So the LEA learned from our Hoedown experience, and got even more creative with fundraising to cover the costs of the instructor and sold Mongolian apparel. Of course I had to buy a few for our family too!
Here's the team of teachers. They hired the main teacher, but the rest of the ladies spread out around the room to demonstrate to us a little closer up. That was a good thing--the moves were complicated,.
Coworkers Catherine and Megan and me with a local staff that helped teach.
0 comments: