Thomas and Savannah are on the middle school student council. I'm proud of them and their ambition to get involved with the school and take on another "extra" responsibility. They've been working hard and one of their most recent projects was to help plan their 1st dance of the year. Things kind of fell apart on the council with a few members dropping out, but they still pulled the dance off and had fun. They both stayed after school to help with the decorating before it started and they asked me if I would be a chaperone for the dance as well (they're still not embarrassed to have me around yet which I'm grateful for!). Here's Savannah helping with pizza and drink orders and keeping track of the money and money box.
Note: It was totally dark in the dance room, so the pics are fuzzy.
Savannah, with one of the student council leaders/teachers.
As expected, there really wasn't a whole lot of dancing going on at the dance. 
I still don't quite understand the "lay down" dance move. ;)
Saanvee, Thomas' friend, was the D.J.
Thomas hung out with a few of his friends, Carl and Zeke. Thomas ended up playing "keep away" with a ball and some friends as well. Here's Carl teaching some of his moves. ;)

As expected, there really wasn't a whole lot of dancing going on at the dance. 
I still don't quite understand the "lay down" dance move. ;)
Saanvee, Thomas' friend, was the D.J.
Thomas hung out with a few of his friends, Carl and Zeke. Thomas ended up playing "keep away" with a ball and some friends as well. Here's Carl teaching some of his moves. ;)

I marveled at the idea that I have two children in middle school and they were at the dance! We don't actually allow the pairing off dancing stuff until they're 14, so they went knowing that they were there because of their student council responsibilities and to have fun with their friends. Again, I can't believe they're at this stage and I'm establishing these rules and guidelines with them. If I can still remember my 8th grade promotion dance, doesn't that mean I'm still too young to have children at this stage? ;)

Rush | November 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM
Thanks for sharing! Ellie just had her 1st dance with the middle school for Halloween too. Crazy. Not much dancing was going on, mostly food and fun, but it still felt like a rite of passage. But more tame than the dating discussions we're having at our house! Eeek! We're not supposed to be old enough to do that sort of stuff.