Savannah's 12!

I know I say this every year, but I can't believe Savannah is 12!  She's growing up so fast!  We appreciate the growth and learning of this past year--she is so helpful around the house, clean and neat and responsible, her heart continues to be full of empathy and love for others, and she is curious and anxious to learn.
Today was a long awaited birthday for her because she advances from Primary to Young Women's at church and she got to get her ears pierced.  
We started celebrating before Bri went to work.  We sang, opened presents, and even enjoyed some healthy Keylime pie for breakfast, Savvy's request.  :)
Some new clothes, earrings, earring holder, books, and a harmonica.  Her birthday wishes.
After Bri left for work, Savvy and I set out to see Sveta, my hair stylist, to get her hair cut.  Then we met up with Bri at the embassy for lunch. 
We left lunch and Savannah bravely (ok, with a little fear and trepidation), got her ears pierced!
Upon returning home, the kids spent the rest of the afternoon with friends Saanvi and Madara on the trampoline and playing volleyball and badminton.  It was a beautiful day, blue skies and all!

Breakfast for dinner--one of Savannah's favorite dinners.
Savannah's first Sunday as a Young Woman!  Sporting her new clothes, earrings, and YW torch of faith necklace that Sister Barnes gave her, she was ready.  As of right now, Savannah is the only YW in the branch.  We are waiting for her friend Kambell to turn 12 in October, but for now, Savannah is getting a lot of personal attention.  :)  Sister Linda on the left is the YW District leader, and Sister Bloomfield on the right is her new leader now that Sister Barnes (on the far right) is sadly preparing to return to the States.
I was invited to attend the YW classes for the first few weeks.  Savannah wanted a little companionship from me which I loved.  I enjoyed being in the lesson and getting to hear Savannah's gospel thoughts and testimony outside the home.  I got emotional though when we started singing "I am a Child of God" because all of the sudden I remembered a time when she was just under 3 years old.  I was waiting for Briant at D.I. to help me pick up a piece of furniture, and while waiting for him, Savannah wanted me to hold her and asked for me to sing to her.  I chose that song, and about half way through the first verse, I could feel her body shake a little and I discovered her crying softly.  I asked her if she was crying because she was sad, and she replied, "No."  So I asked if she was crying because she was happy and she said, "Yes," as she sucked on her thumb with her head tucked into my chest.  It was an amazing experience for me to be holding a little child of God, this sweet young girl, while she was feeling the spirit confirming that these words were true to her.  I've never forgotten the experience, and I've shared it with Savannah so she knows that she has always been sensitive to spiritual things.  I continue to feel the sweet spirit of this special girl as I've watched her mature beautifully and in all the right ways.  We are so pleased with her and we know her Heavenly Father is as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment