Savannah: I just started horse back riding lessons! On my first lesson, I helped saddle the horse. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. When I got in the horse arena, my horse was on a rope held by my instructor Katja, so when I was riding, I was riding in circles. I was wearing my best tennis shoes and by the end of that lesson, they were very dirty along with my socks and pants. I started at a walk, then progressed to a trot. I felt so proud of myself I couldn't help smiling every time I say my mom and Rhea on my way around the circle.
Poor Rhea. During my first lesson while she and my mom watched, her eyes and face started itching. She started sneezing a lot and her nose got clogged. My instructor Kate has two dogs that are super friendly, and Rhea couldn't keep her hands off of them even though she knows she's allergic to them. She had so much fun playing with them, but she felt miserable after.
Before this lesson, we went to a horse store and bought a pair of gloves, a helmet and boot coverings. I was so happy to finally have the boot cover so I could wear my boots. When I wear my boots, it means my feet won't fall out of the stirrups and I'll be able to grip better and depend more on my legs to help keep my balance and control of the horse. In this picture, I started galloping like a week or two before, so I was really happy to show my mom and dad that I could gallop now, especially because they haven't seen me gallop before. It was actually my dad's first time seeing me ride. It was Columbus Day so my dad had the day off, so after going to Sigulda together (except Thomas who had school), my mom and dad both got to come and watch my lesson. I loved it!


Mom here: It is so fun to watch Savannah's lessons and I'm glad Bri got to go to this lesson! And just in one month I can see the improvement in how she holds herself and commands the horse gently with her body. She is always so calm and kind to the horse. I can see her confidence increase as well. She had a scare a few weeks ago that shook her up where she lost her footing and was falling off and nearly ran into another rider, but she's improving and feeling less fear. Kate, her Latvian instructor, was not shy about pointing out her improvements and saying very confidently, "It is because I am a good instructor!" I chuckled inside at her direct Latvian manners but agreed with her!
Then after the lesson if no one else is riding him, Savannah gets to unsaddle him, brush him, and wash his legs and hooves.
Poor picture, but this is inside the stables where the girls take care of the horses and put the equipment away.



0 comments: