Thomas in Once Upon a Mattress

Thomas bravely auditioned for the school play and got the part of Sir Harry, one of the main characters.  Theater is a new thing for him, so we were impressed with the courage he showed to be in front of his peers, teachers, and parents performing.  They started practicing in December two days a week after school and that continued until the two day performance in February.  Thomas even had a solo singing part which is something he's never done before either.
In the play, Thomas' character had a love interest with Lady Larken (Valeria who was a sophomore).  They both sang solos to each other.  "Yesterday I loved you" will forever be in our memory, especially the many times we laughed as we tried to give advice for Thomas on how to deepen his voice to hit the first note of the song.  ;)
Thomas P., Valeria, and Thomas
As soon as we arrived at the theater to watch the performance, friends of Savannah ran to her squealing with excitement that she was there since they don't get to see her much with homeschooling (Georgina, Maya, Zara, & Polina).
Prince Harry and Lady Larken having a little fight.
Reading their letters of apology and love they were sending to each other.  Valerie and Thomas had solos in what turned out to be a little love song for these characters.

Mr. and Mrs. Martin were awesome!  They put so much time and effort into putting the school play together and I know they exercise a great amount of patience with the kids.  I loved how patient Mrs. Martin was in helping Thomas learn his solo singing part.  She gave him the confidence to do it and he did!  The Martins were wonderful to work with Savannah last year too in Annie.
Thomas and his good friends David and Elise.
Yay for Thomas!  The performances are over and he did well!
Thomas' memory: "David and I thought we would try out for the musical. We hadn’t done anything like that before so we thought we would give it a go.  Ms. Martin said we were originally going to do a Dr. Seuss musical but then she changed it to Once Upon a Mattress, the Princess and the Pea. I was glad we switched because I didn’t want to do the Dr. Seuss one.  David got the main role as the prince and I got to be his knight, Sir Harry. I actually had to sing a solo. Luckily the songs and lines I had to learn were easy enough. David on the other hand was not expecting to get the main role. I had a love solo with a 10th grader… I think the best thing from the musical was that I got extra time away from Jaden to hangout with David, haha. I even got to miss two days of school." :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment