Bri's cooking

One thing about Bri is that when he talks about his 2 year mission to Brazil for the LDS church, he will undoubtedly talk about the food.  In fact, most of what he talks about is the food.  He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES the food.  Being here in Angola speaking Portuguese has naturally made him miss Brazil and the food.  So he has been cooking two of his favorite Brazilian dishes:  
Feijoada (a meal with black beans, rice, and some meat chopped meat, topped with fried egg and whatever sauce you want.  We love red wine vinegar or hot sauce or both).
 And doce de leite, basically translated "sweet milk."  It's a can of cooked condensed milk.  He left it in the can, put it in a pan with water and boiled it for 2.5 hours.  



 A wonderfully yummy treat.  Very sweet though!
I'm learning that some version of this treat is made in different areas around the world, including Russia, Norway, France, the Philippines, and of course all over South America.
I think we need to try putting the doce de leite on muffins like this picture!
photo credit: wikipedia
Along the same vein of talking about food, the grocery shopping here has been interesting.  The meat looks and tastes different from what we would buy in the states.  Trying to get our taste buds to adjust to that.  Maybe on our next trip out I'll get pics in the store if I feel safe to take the camera.  At a small grocery store near our last apartment, I bought this little tiny jar of peanut butter, about 1 cup's worth, for $10!  There are some products here that are actually reasonably priced for Angola, but I was shocked when I bought the peanut butter.  I'm glad that a lot of the food we sent in our consumables shipment is peanut butter.  It's just not here yet!
 This bag of Ruffles chips is bacon flavored!  Maybe I didn't chip shop before in the states like I am now (trying to find snacks for the kids' lunches that they will like), but I don't recall having this flavor in the states.  Anyway, it is VERY good and tastes just like bacon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment