Savannah: This is one chapter in my life that I
would rather not remember. If I could, I would tear this moment out of my book
called life and rebind it into another, smaller book. Then put it on a shelf,
inside a safe, inside a crate, inside another safe, dumped in the middle of the
ocean. It might survive, thanks to the safes, but I would make sure that there
were holes in it so that the water could make the words I am about to write
float off the pages, and never be read by anyone. Ever. When I think about what
I am about to write, it makes my skin crawl. Literally.
I’m not sure
where I got it, but one day I looked at my right foot, and saw a lump. Not a
big one, but big enough that I questioned weather it was a callus or something
much worse. Until that moment when my dear mother diagnosed me, I had lived in
a world of cupcakes and rainbows. This is word for word, because the moment my
mother told me what was on my foot, there was a rainbow right outside the
window (I think, but I can’t remember).
After that day,
no matter what temperature it was, I had to wear a sock on my right foot. Even
in the shower, I couldn't let my feet touch the floor. It was some of the most
stressful months of my life. From June, right after I turned 12, until right
before my birthday in June, the next year..
We went to
Paris for Christmas, and I remember laying in bed, feeling my foot beneath the
sock I was wearing. Then I turned on a light and saw that my one wart had
had children. It sent out baby warts all over my foot, even underneath my toes.
The farthest one I remember, was two or three inches below my big toe.

That was one
of the most terrible days of my life.
All this time, we used some over the counter wart treatment that the
embassy nurse suggested to "burn" them off. But here we were months later, with many more
warts. So we finally went to a
dermatologist that lazered them so the roots would die. They were definitely connected, so that helped
them. It didn’t feel like butterfly
kisses, but it was definitely not the most pain I have had in my life. After 3
weeks or so, we could finally see them start to shrink, and after a few months
they were practically gone. We went one
more time to the doctor before we moved out of Latvia to make sure there were
no warts lingering. All and all, I think
that I am better off knowing about and having this experience. Thank you
world.
0 comments: