Friends leaving us

We had to say goodbye to two of our favorite families here at Oakwood.  :(
Analee and her kids (and hubby, another FSO) are off to China.  Analee was always reaching out to me after we moved here.  She had her hands full with these little ones, but she seemed so capable.  I hope our paths cross again, for a longer period of time.  Good memories around the pool this summer.  Rhea misses Lily.  They were in the same first grade class.
Taylor and Jorden were Thomas' buddies.  I went to their house with Thomas to say goodbye the night before they left, but I wasn't able to see their mom (my friend) Melissa because she was out running around like a chicken with its head cut off.  The craziness of packing a family out. :)  So the boys said their "goodbyes" by being boys--goofy, part way wrestling, doing stunts, etc.  And then they hugged.  We had a good summer with this cute and sweet family--hours spent at the pool and playing outside.  Melissa and I ended up hooking up after she drove ten hours to take her kids to her in-laws house for a week.  She flew back and met up with her husband so they could leave on a cruise together.  She and I were able to sneak in a pedicure so she could have cute toes on the cruise.  :)  They are off to Mauritania, a country in northwest Africa.  She will be homeschooling and homechurching her kids because the schools will not be meeting the needs of her kids there, and there isn't an organized LDS ward or branch there.  As I have learned, there is freedom of religion there, however the constitution decrees that Islam is the religion of its citizens.  So the Christians there are few in number.  I admire Melissa because this will not be easy--but she will do what needs to be done.  Another capable woman--very strong in spirit and optimism.  We will unfortunately be miles apart.  :(  Something like 4,400 miles apart.  99 hours of driving.  
Africa is huge. 




1 comments:

Post a Comment