And the winner is...

Before moving here, I had seen pictures of African women carrying things on their heads.  I knew I could expect to see it here in Angola.  Nevertheless, the first time I saw it, I was still in shock.  These women amaze me!  And most of the time they have babies wrapped onto their backs at the same time.  I asked one of my drivers why it is just the women that do it.  He explained that men used to do it more, but they generally just carry things in their hands and arms.   I think that was his polite way of saying that women are not as strong as men, so it's easier to carry things on their heads. :)  He said that the girls start at about 11 or 12 years old to practice head carrying.  
This guy walks around our neighborhood carrying his supplies to perform manicures.  $40.  The funny thing is, every time I've seen him painting nails, it has been for men.  Apparently the men like to have their nails painted too, a clear color.
We have seen some pretty amazing loads--laundry soap, shoes, clothes, etc.  Anything that can be carried in hand, can also be carried on the head!
Women carrying fabric.  One of the ladies from the embassy invited these venders into her house to sell fabrics to her friends.  6 yards for $25.  Fabric from Europe.  I couldn't let them leave without getting a picture!
Flip Flops
Flip flops and toys
Sometimes it's easier to see the load these women carry than the women themselves!  
Laundry soap
 And the WINNER is:
The largest load that we have seen here yet!  Tupperware and metal cooking pots!  It was taller than she was!






0 comments:

Post a Comment