Thanksgiving was definitely different this year...for many reasons. First, the kids went to school. They go to an international school, not an American school, so it wasn't a school holiday. We deliberated about whether or not we should just keep them home which at first was a no-brainer. "How can you be American and go to school on Thanksgiving?" Briant asked. But then we got thinking about how the other kids from the embassy were going to school too and how we were going to be baking and cooking all day anyway and how the kids would go crazy without much to do, so we sent them. And we ended up being very glad we did. I woke up feeling sick to my stomach. Nauseous, dizzy, and full of pain. It looked like I had eaten something bad again like I did a few weeks ago (this time, the sickness lasted 4-5 days). So I baked our favorite pumpkin cookies with cinnamon chips and chocolate chips as well as our favorite cream cheese pecan appetizer, with little breaks to lay down every few minutes. Amazingly, despite being distracted by my issues, the food turned out and I didn't even burn the cookies in this old oven!
These 7 oz. tubs of cream cheese cost $9.00 each!
I packed the ingredients for the cookies in our suitcases on our flight here in October, as well as the pecans for the appetizer, knowing that these foods would bring "home" to my kids and hubby on Thanksgiving. I got the cookie recipe from my wonderful friend Sharon about 4-5 years ago, and they have been part of our food tradition ever since, along with the Taste of Home appetizer!So after cooking, I took a shower and got ready to go to our friends' home for Thanksgiving dinner they were generously hosting for us and two other families. About 5 minutes before being picked up, I was still feeling miserable and knew that it wouldn't be any fun for me if I ended up throwing up at their house, and I certainly didn't want them to worry or fret over my happiness during the meal and gathering. So I sent Briant alone where he was going to meet up with the kids after they got out of school. This was hard for me to do because I don't like missing out on things, especially holidays and a chance to socialize and see friends here. But I stayed and slept almost the entire time they were gone, and they all had a ball. Briant said that initially upon hearing that I wasn't going to be there, the girls were emotional. But he said that after they "worked through it," they were ok. :) Heather, the hostess, was given a few turkeys earlier in the year and needed to use them, so they were lucky enough to still have turkey. Briant said that it was the best turkey, gravy, and stuffing. They also had wonderful bread, mashed potatoes, veggies, pumpkin pie, etc. Briant brought me home a plate of food that Heather sent with him but sadly I wasn't able to fully appreciate it because I was sensitive to the tastes and smells of everything--for a few days. Needless to say, on Thanksgiving I was reminded that I have a lot to be grateful for, including the daily health that I enjoy!
I think these pics show that the kids didn't have fun at all. :)
For posterity so the tradition can continue on: :)
Pumpkin Cookies
1 large can pumpkin
1 box spice cake mix
1 box yellow cake mix
1 bag mini milk
chocolate chips
1 bag cinnamon chips (or
12 oz if you buy in bulk) Can't find cinnamon chips? Use Heath toffee chips. Mix all ingredients in
large bowl. Bake at 385 for 12-14 minutes.
French Quarter Cheese Spread
![]() |
| Photo by Taste of Home |
·
1
package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
·
1
tablespoon grated onion
·
1
garlic clove, minced
·
1/4
cup butter, cubed
·
1/4
cup packed dark brown sugar
·
1
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
·
1/2
teaspoon prepared mustard
·
1
cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
Assorted crackers
Directions
1. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, onion and garlic.
Transfer to a serving plate; shape into a 6-in. disk. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar,
Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5
minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans.
3. Cool slightly. Spoon over cheese mixture. Serve with crackers.
Yield: 8 servings.

Rachelle | April 21, 2015 at 9:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the recipes! ;) I know this is an old post, so I'm glad you're better :-) . Food sickness in a strange land--how do you even prevent it??!!