Every month the embassy selects a local Angolan employee to be "Employee of the Month." They get a framed certificate of the award and $200, which for these hardworking employees, is a lot of money. Briant got the email announcing that it was time to put nominations in so they could select someone. Without hesitating, he nominated Paulo, one of our favorite drivers, for our family. This is what he wrote:
“For the last three weeks, my kids and wife have talked non-stop about Paulo the driver – of everyone we have met in Angola, he is the individual they know and like and respect and look forward to seeing. Paulo drove my kids to school for several days when they first started going to school, and they reported back how friendly he was and how much they appreciated his patience and driving style on their long ride to LIS. Paulo subsequently drove my wife as duty driver; she reported back how much she liked him and that he patiently practiced speaking Portuguese with her, something she really appreciated as a new arrival. On Halloween, my kids set aside candy for Paulo’s kids. They look forward to those days when he drives them and are disappointed when he doesn’t.
This past Sunday morning, Paulo gave us a ride to church as duty driver, and set up the return ride for us as his shift would end when we needed to be picked up. Unfortunately, something went wrong in the communication and we ended up without a driver. When the van eventually came to get us, we were pleasantly surprised to see it was Paulo that was driving – he was an hour past the end of his shift, but recognized there had been a problem in getting one of the drivers to us and stayed on to make sure our needs were met.
Paulo, together with the residence guards, has put a friendly and relatable face on Angola for my kids and wife and has been friendly and customer service-oriented in his work as a driver. I really appreciate that effort and performance for my family – his efforts give me greater confidence that my family is being provided for and facilitates my work at the embassy.”
When we told the kids that we nominated him, they were so excited at the thought that he could possibly get it. They really wanted him to get it so he could get the money, knowing that the money could be helpful because he has four children of his own. About a week after submitting the nomination statement, Briant came home from work and told us that Paulo was indeed going to be the recipient. We all cheered!
| Paulo receiving the award from the Ambassador. |
I of course wanted to be there when Paulo received the award so Briant
let me know when the Town Hall meeting was going to be. We didn’t expect that he would know that we
were the ones that nominated him, but apparently someone told him because he
approached us afterward and thanked us profusely for the nomination. As
he thanked us with teary eyes, he spoke to Briant in Portuguese, speaking at a
pace I couldn’t keep up with, except I recognized “Madame” several times (all
of the drivers and guards call the embassy women this, pronounced like the
French would say, “Muh-dom”). After he finished, Briant asked me if I
understood what he said. I said, “Not really," so he translated for
me. :) Paulo expressed his appreciation for how I have treated him.
He said that it was because of the kindness and respect I have shown him, that
my children have followed my example and have been kind and respectful towards
him also. And because of that, he has had the ability to be more patient
with all of the children during the long drives. He also expressed
appreciation for my sincerity and honesty. This experience reminded me
and my family of how important it is to be kind to others. Genuinely
kind. The type of kindness that has the ability to impact the behavior of
others—to motivate them to be kind as well. After moving here and seeing
the poverty all around us, I was naturally focused on wanting to help those in
need with their temporal struggles--their lack of money and "things."
That is still important of course, and kindnesses are shown that way as
well. However I was reminded through this experience with Paulo, that
kindnesses which uplift and help others emotionally and spiritually are
equally, if not more, important.
We were
recipients of this type of kindness last week. After being sick on
Thanksgiving and for four days or so after, I was feeling blah. After I
recovered, Savannah started showing signs of a possible ear infection (she's
had at least 15 in her lifetime), so because our embassy medical staff was out
of the country, I spent three hours at the local “clinic” to see if we could
get her some help. After receiving a sub-par examination, we returned
home without any antibiotics, knowing that her symptoms would continue and we
would have to wait for the embassy nurse to return. I came home
discouraged. Needless to say, when Briant arrived with an unexpected
package from Meghan, a friend from his A-100 class, my spirits were
lifted. Her sweet card read, “Briant and Micky—A little something to help
through your challenging transition—I hear chocolate and peanut butter makes
everything better! Wishing you smooth sailing for the rest of your
tour.” The box was full of different kinds of holiday wrapped chocolates
and a jar of peanut butter. Briant and I were touched by Meghan’s
generosity and thoughtfulness. It was exactly what we needed--to know
that someone on the other side of the world is thinking about us and cheering
us on! This kindness is not forgotten, especially during our times of
need. We have also felt the support and love of our families here and are
so grateful to know that they are praying for us. I will try and show my
gratitude for Paulo, Meghan, and all those who bless my life by passing kindnesses
on to those around me this holiday season.
"I
believe in the principle that I can make a difference in this world. It
may be ever so small, but it will count for the greater good. The
goodness of the world in which we live is the accumulated goodness of many
small and seemingly inconsequential acts."
--Gordon
B. Hinckley, a beloved LDS prophet
0 comments: