Branch Christmas Party

The LDS branch we attend held its Christmas party at the church on a Saturday a few weeks before Christmas.  Something that we’re learning about Angola, is that their definition of time is much different from ours (e.g. took 5 weeks to get our internet)!  They are very laid back and don't stress about time.  The party was supposed to start at 3pm, so we had our driver drop us off at 2:00pm because Briant and his singing group had to practice.  So we left our apartment at 1:30pm.  At 4:10pm the party started.  We told our driver to pick us up at 5pm because we thought two hours would be long enough for the party.  Unfortunately we had to leave before the party really got started!  The branch president wanted each auxiliary to present something—a song, or skit.  Briant, as the mission leader, sung a Christmas song in a little choir made up of the full-time missionaries, branch missionaries, and a few people that are preparing to serve missions.  They sung and Bri also played his Irish whistle for an interlude and accompanied the singing for one verse.  It was beautiful.  He did a great job (see the video below).  I also joined the Relief Society group in singing.  We had to leave after only half of the groups presented, with the food still staring at us.  The kids were starving, so they discretely grabbed something off the table really quick before we left.  Oh, I forgot to mention, that the air conditioners weren’t working (a common Sunday occurrence for us unfortunately), so we were a bit uncomfortable in the late afternoon heat of the building.  I have noticed that when we are sweating and fanning ourselves, the Angolans don’t seem uncomfortable or affected at all by the heat!  I’ve concluded that they’ve become accustomed to it.  I’m hoping that we do too…quickly.  :)

Hanging out with the American Elders, waiting for the party to start.  
Elder Cook from Idaho.  We love Elder Cook.  He translates for my kids in Primary during singing time and he translates for us during Sacrament meeting through our headsets.  I may have recently mentioned that I have a cute niece named Madison that I could hook him up with when he goes home this summer if she goes to BYU Idaho, and after she serves her mission (if she's still thinking about it).  :)
Waiting...
Still waiting...
The program finally started.  :)







Getting their costumes on to act out the nativity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment