These are my English students! Right now, there are 58
students, with more coming as soon as they return from their leave. When I applied for the job, I was told that they normally have about 25 people sign up, so this is considerably more than I was planning on. All is well though. I have about eight that don't speak any English at all, and then about 25 that can speak at the next level, and then another 15 intermediate speakers, and 10 at an advanced level. So I'll be lesson planning for four classes, two hours of instruction for each level, each week.

Before
we moved here, I was told about the English Instructor position at the embassy that
would be open when we arrived in Angola.
After considerable thought, I decided to apply for the position. I felt that with my kids going to school all
day, I would need a purpose to keep me going beyond keeping us the house and preparing
for their return from school. Angola, I
was told, with it being a hardship and high crime post, does not have regular
every day opportunities to explore or socialize with others. Because of this, many spouses of the diplomats
will work in some capacity at the embassy.
Luckily for me, they have been without an English teacher since the end
of last spring, so with my teaching background and love of teaching, I decided
it could be a good fit for me. I felt
that teaching would allow me opportunities to get to know the Angolans more
intimately and feel rewarded through my interaction with them. So far, all of this has come true. I met with all 58 students last week. I assessed their English reading and grammar
abilities with a 20 question written test, and then assessed their speaking
ability through conversation. I had
about 15 questions that I asked each of them (I felt like I sounded like a
broken record and was living out my own version of the movie “Groundhog Day”
with Bill Murray by the end of the 5th day :) ).
Even with the quantity of repetition, and sitting for long
periods of time, without a lunch or even a bathroom break, I enjoyed myself
immensely. I felt like I was connecting
with these locals and they were excited and grateful for the classes that I
would be teaching. I am so impressed
with them. To test their grasp of how to
use the conditional word “would,” I asked, “What would you do if you won a
million dollars?” Almost every person
laughed at first, but then went on to give thoughtful answers about how they would
use the money to help their children go to a university and how they would help
their community build schools or recreation centers for the kids and teenagers
here. Most also mentioned that they
would like to have a house of their own and a car so they wouldn’t have to
take taxis all the time. They also
amazed me with the number of kids they have and how they LOVE them so
much. One man, that didn’t appear to be
older than 30, told me he has 7 kids.
ALL BOYS! He’s actually 42
(Angolans look younger than they are!), and said that each of his children is a
“gift from God.” I have heard this many
times since being here. It is remarkable
to me that despite the burdens they carry to provide food and clothing for their many children, the Angolans talk so reverently about them and seem to truly know their preciousness.
I look forward to my time teaching here in Angola. During one
interview a man said, “God sent you. I
have been waiting to learn English and now you are here.” A woman I assessed also said, “We are
fighting to learn English. To learn
English makes us free.” These locals
want to learn English because they can improve their job/career opportunities
and their ability to make more money if they speak English. They are trying to improve their
circumstances as much as they can. I'm grateful for the chance to be a small part in that process. And yet again,
I feel very grateful for the ease with which I have been able to live
my life and am reminded of all that I have taken or do take for granted. I think I'd be a fool if I didn't realize that I'M the student here.
Rachelle | March 13, 2015 at 6:02 PM
I love this post! My parents encountered similar things in the Philippines, as far as speaking English goes. I think the missionaries taught it, and the people who knew English had way better opportunities than those who didn't. I love that your job has so much purpose!