One
huge issue that we’ve had to deal with since we moved here, is the long rides that
the kids have to get to school. The kids
drive with other embassy kids. It’s only
9 miles away, but it takes no less than 45 minutes on a GOOD day because of the
traffic congestion. The problem is that there
aren’t very many “good” days. A few days
ago it took the kids 2 hours to get home from school, and the day after that it
took an hour and 15 minutes. As I sit
here writing, I have no idea when I can expect them home or in what condition I
can expect them to be in. What's funny is that I'm thinking back to when we lived in Las Vegas. At one point, Briant and I threw around the idea (along with some friends) of him working in Las Vegas while actually living in St. George, Utah. It would have been about a 1 1/2 hour commute, traveling 120 miles. We decided that the quality of life doing that "miserable commute" every morning and evening would be too much for him, especially day after day. And here we are now in Angola, asking our children to do it! What kid likes
to be cooped up in a van with 7 or 8 other kids (all between the ages of 10 and
5, having different likes, dislikes and idiosyncrasies) after a long day of school for at least an hour drive home? Oh, and then they have to wake up the next
morning and do it again, going to school and then coming home. And one more thing—they have to do homework
when they get home because the bus ride is too bumpy for them to do it on the
way home and they all complain about being carsick. :)
Needless
to say, the commute to school is not my childrens' favorite part of their day and their weaknesses have come out a bit during the long drives—of course it’s ridiculous to expect perfection or even
close to it with this issue at their age.
The noise of all the children cumulatively is too loud and the drivers have complained about that,
fearing an accident caused by distractions.
They’ve also complained about bickering and “fighting” between the kids on
the bus. And every day the kids come home and I get to hear all
about it. After a few months of us
parents talking with each other to try and understand the issues on the bus (“She
said she hates me,” or “She won’t share her DS,” etc.), we reached our
exhaustion point with lecturing our kids and hoping things would be better the
next day. After talking, most of the
parents agreed that the technology brought by some of the kids was causing a lot of
the issues and that it would probably help to prohibit tech stuff on the
bus. There are just too many kids
without adult help to work through the fighting. So feeling somewhat helpless, we decided to start by eliminating the technology. The second thing we did
was get all of the families together for a little "pow wow" and have the kids come up with their own “vision
statement” and commitments on how they would behave appropriately on the bus. This “activity” went well as we all
designated Amy as the parent leader. She
used material from Covey’s “Seven Habits for Happy Kids/The leader in Me”
program. The kids each shared their
goals and then one of the moms went home and created a visual with these goals
to post up in the bus for the kids to remember what we talked about.
“Pete the Peacemaker” is the adorable superhero character she
created (I wish I had a pic of it!). After a week we reconvened and discussed how
the kids thought they did. We had treats for them and made it like a
party to celebrate the good behavior. As parents, we were all very
pleased with how the week went because we didn’t hear any complaining from our
own kids about any other children! We will keep up the weekly pow wows if we have to for a few more weeks to keep them focused on their vision of a peace-filled bus.
These kids have my complete empathy. I know I couldn’t
handle that drive twice a day, five days a week! I dislike that
drive A LOT and avoid going that direction as much as I can. So we
are trying to be understanding of how much we are asking of our children (besides the fact that we're asking them to live in Angola), but
do hope that these issues with continue to improve!
Just US | February 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM
I LOVE it! What a great idea to give the kids ownership over that horrible, no-good, very-long bus ride.