Easter weekend the CLO sponsored an Easter brunch at the embassy.
Fun for the kids with Easter egg hunting, food, visiting, and a last minute decision to go swimming. I was proud of Thomas for re-hiding more than half of his eggs for Joseph, a younger boy, that had only found 4 eggs by the end of the hunt. Thomas discretely re-hid them and I hinted at where they might be for Joseph. As part of our focus on Easter and Christ's resurrection last month, we talked as a family about how important it is that we look for and find Christ in our lives and learn who he is so we can be like him. We related this to the Easter egg hunt and how it could be symbolic of our looking for Christ and learning about him, and that throughout the hunt (our day to day lives), we have to help others find Him too. The kids suggested that helping other kids to find eggs during the hunt would be like what we're trying to do every day. So naturally, before the hunt, I tried to impress upon them again our goal to "look for Jesus and help others find Him too." The kids agreed and went off running. :)

The bouncy house is always popular, but tends to take on interesting shapes when the older kids jump in.
We rarely get local employees joining us for weekend or holiday events because they live so far away, so I was glad to see Gertrudes and Anna, our nurse, bring their daughters. And Don, the "Doc" or nurse that has been serving temporarily here for a few months standing with my friend Carla. He was such an interesting man with lots of fun stories from his years overseas! I love getting to now our TDY'ers (temporary staff) even though it's just for a short time. It's sad to say goodbye but I'm grateful our paths crossed and am hopeful they'll cross again.
Some of the wonderful ladies that are working here or are accompanying spouses here at post.
We did not go to the embassy prepared to swim, but it was so hot and humid, that the kids and Briant couldn't resist themselves and jumped in the pool with their regular street clothing to play with a few other families. I didn't blame them. I would have too if I had had the appropriate clothing! The girls played calmly on one side of the pool while the boys and men played some sort of keep away game.
A few hours after returning from the brunch, which was actually Good Friday, I heard loud crying that seemed to be coming from a microphone outside. There is a Catholic church across the street from us that had had loud singing coming from it, but I was curious why there would be crying. I looked upon this:
They were reinacting the crucifixion of Christ. The "Roman soldiers" spent a few minutes around "Jesus" and then took him down from the cross and carried him into the church. The loud wailing continued.

I've never seen this done before. I wish I could have seen what took place in the church. I'm hoping that the focus turned to Christ's resurrection and celebrating the empty tomb. He is our living, loving Savior today!

A few hours after returning from the brunch, which was actually Good Friday, I heard loud crying that seemed to be coming from a microphone outside. There is a Catholic church across the street from us that had had loud singing coming from it, but I was curious why there would be crying. I looked upon this:
They were reinacting the crucifixion of Christ. The "Roman soldiers" spent a few minutes around "Jesus" and then took him down from the cross and carried him into the church. The loud wailing continued.
I've never seen this done before. I wish I could have seen what took place in the church. I'm hoping that the focus turned to Christ's resurrection and celebrating the empty tomb. He is our living, loving Savior today!


0 comments: