Thomas' Trip to Ukraine

Thomas had the wonderful opportunity of traveling to Kyiv, Ukraine with the school soccer team.  He signed up to be on the team for an after school activity (ASA), and after a few months, they got to travel.  Thomas was excited because two of his best friends, Carl and Zeke, were traveling too.
I dropped Thomas off in the morning with his bags packed, ready to go.
 Then I returned at the end of the school day, to cheer him on with the school, as they made a tunnel for them with loud cow bells and all, as they went out to get on the bus.  That was a first for Thomas--pretty exciting for him. ;)
The coaches took this picture there in Kyiv.  They boys were relieved there was no snow because apparently they played in quite a bit of snow last year.  We have yet to have snow here in Latvia, and I guess Ukraine is waiting for it too.  Unfortunately, the boys still lost.  Every.  Game.  They were pretty bummed about it, but were glad that they were at least in an exotic country while losing. ;)
 While there, the boys got to stay with host families.  He said his host family was nice and he LOVED their apartment.  It was HUGE he said, with 4 floors, and every room had a second story to it.  He loved it so much, that instead of getting pics and videos of Ukraine, he got pics and videos of their apartment to show us (including their cats that he slept with every night).  ;)
Thomas had a choice between going to Ukraine with the soccer team and going to Albania with the robotics team he's on (we are trying not to raise "spoiled" and "entitled" children!).  Seems like the parents of kids at the international schools are willing to pay for any and every possible trip, and I don't blame them.  Most are very well off.  And we as parents don't want our kids to miss out on opportunities or traveling to other countries.  But Thomas is 13 now, and he may have made some comments that led us, as parents, to rethink how much we pay for and let him do. ;)  He's a great kid, but as with everyone I think, we're tempted to begin to expect things instead of earn and express gratitude for those things.  So Thomas also payed $70 of the cost toward his trip to Ukraine.  I'm glad he had this opportunity as I believe it will contribute to his personal growth!

0 comments:

Post a Comment