Fun tennis lessons for mom

Tennis lessons have been a major highlight for me here during our time in Falls Church.  I haven't taken lessons in probably 8 or 9 years, and those lessons only lasted a few months with my friend Susie in Alpine.  It was wonderful to take some time for my own personal development and rediscover a hobby and sport that I enjoy so much!  I truly love playing tennis and being back on the courts!  
My lessons started out through the Falls Church Parks and Recreation Center.  We had Coach Stephan teaching us on Wednesday mornings for 1.5 hours at Cavalier Park.  We had a group of 5 ladies, all about the same level, that were fun and complimentary.  There was no competitiveness, to worry about; just fun laughing at ourselves as we each figured our own game and skills.  Coach was always optimistic and encouraging as well, and ironically comes from a Latvian mother!  It was fun to be able to tell him about my recent 2 years living in Latvia.  The only weekly frustration was being on outdoor courts and dealing with having some lessons cancelled due to rain.  It was something I looked forward to every week so I didn't like having the lessons cancelled!  
Liz, me, Coach Stephan, Jamie, Erin, Pam  Sept-Nov
After the fall session ended with Falls Church Rec, I started playing with some ladies from my ward at church that had been taking lessons with Ivan on an indoor court.  Luckily I found out that Jenn B. played tennis, so we hooked up to play together one day and she told me about their group and was kind enough to let me join.  I was able to move straight into those lessons without missing a beat.  The lessons went well also, with a great coach and fun ladies.  Outside of lessons, Jenn and I tried to play singles every week or play doubles sometimes with Marsha and Hillary.  They're awesome ladies and I feel fortunate that I was able to associate with them on a regular basis!  Sadly, I'm starting full time Mandarin lessons at the Foreign Service Institute next week for the next few months, so I won't be able to continue lessons with them anymore.  Here we are at our last lesson.  :(  I will forever remember my time playing tennis with all of these wonderful people here in Falls Church!
Tracy, Jenn, Ivan, Hillary, me, and Marcia  Dec-Feb

0 comments:

Post a Comment