Teaching English at the embassy is going well—I love
it! It is certainly keeping me
busy. Sometimes I think I’m a little
busier than I would want to be, but at the same time, much of my sanity is
coming from teaching and the interaction that I’m having with these wonderful
people. One of the frustrations that I experienced
for a few weeks, was the lack of teaching space in the embassy. I don’t have my own room or designated area
for lessons, so I was bouncing around from one conference room to the next to
find somewhere to teach. And whenever
another section of the embassy needed those rooms, I was “kicked out” and had
to find somewhere else to teach...sometimes
ending up outside (that is fine, except that 4 hours in the heat and humidity
of Luanda is not always fun!). This sign
demonstrates the number of times I was having to change locations from hour to
hour. Briant took a picture of the sign,
but it was taken before I added one more change to it. :)
Needless to say, I couldn’t help but feel
like a homeless bag lady carrying my three bags of teaching supplies with me up
and down the different floors of the embassy.
I finally had someone in the leadership of the embassy walk around with
me until we found that I could use a small kitchen that is usually unoccupied
in the morning. It’s a little tight, but
it has a table and chairs! That is where
I am the majority of the time, until lunch starts and then the classes held
during lunch are in a conference room that always seems to be unoccupied during
that hour.
My students are so fun.
I try to incorporate games, videos, music, etc. to liven up the
lessons.
Last week we were working on forming
questions so we played “Headbanz.”
Everyone wears a picture of something on their head that they haven’t seen, and they
have to ask yes/no questions to the other players to figure out what they
are. It was a riot. They love to tease each other as they play
and they laugh a lot. I taught them the
English Idiom, “You crack me up!” because they seriously were making me laugh.
Savannah had a high fever one day so she missed school and had to come with me to work. There happens to be a couch in the kitchen where the classes are held, so she was able to rest there. It was cute when she said after the intermediate class where I taught how to use in, on, and at, "Mom, I didn't even know a lot of those things you taught." I guess she got to go to school after all. :)








Just US | March 2, 2015 at 1:24 PM
I love it!
Diane P | March 2, 2015 at 3:45 PM
One thing we try to do with our 2nd language learners is to practice with each other-more opportunity to use the language with you overseeing.