This is Thomas sharing about his field trip this week:
My class went on a field trip this week but I was sick. Here's dad carrying me to bed. I had a fever of 102. Savannah had it first, and then I got it, and now Rhea has it. The good thing about being sick was that I got to go to work with mom and see her teach English. Savannah and Rhea did too. I also got to eat french fries at lunch with dad at the embassy.
Luckily the next day I got better and my teacher said that I could go with the other class from my school in year 5 (4th grade).
We went to Oceaneering, a "global oilfield provider of engineered services and products to the offshore oil and gas industry." The Oceaneering group also helped to develop the "Mars Rover" that went to Mars to explore. We went because we wanted to see how ROVs (remotely operated vehicles) impact the environment. We found out that they don't impact the environment. Oceaneering uses ROVs underwater. They have to stay under water or else they get fried in 15 minutes. They use them for exploring under the ocean for oil drilling, exploring sea life, tracking plane accidents to get the black boxes, and many other uses. We got to see some of the ROV parts that they make: Here are the pictures!
talking about a clamp bending metal:
Small mini-version of parts in an ROV: Cycle process of building:
Real parts inside of ROVs:
Cameras and radar signal tubes that are used inside of ROVs:
ROV arm:
Very large, strong ROV arm:
Controllers for ROVs used on land for the underwater ROVs:
Lunchtime in the cafeteria. They fed us sandwiches, and really yummy french fries, and fruit:
Closing discussion about ROVS:
ROVs are cool. I'm glad I got to go! I think my family should go too. I want to be an engineer some day.
Rachelle | March 13, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Awesome, Thomas! What an interesting field trip!