Savannah's ASL Passion

                  Savannah started an online ASL course when I home schooled the girls for the 2018-2019 school year in Latvia.  She liked it, but she started loving it when she started learning songs and she went from learning isolated words to forming sentences and phrases.  And who doesn't love to learn the lines to music?  That's kind of how it is with learning any new language; music takes the interest and vocabulary to a whole new level.
 Amazingly enough, when we went to register her for 8th grade here in Virginia, we found out that they were starting a new ASL course at the middle school and high school this year!  We couldn't believe our luck!  After a month or so of school, I met with her ASL teacher, Ms. K., for a parent teacher conference.  She had nothing but praises for Savannah and said "she's a natural" and "has real potential to be an interpreter or whatever she wants to do with ASL some day if that's what she wants to do."  I had felt that too, but I didn't know if that was my motherly bias, so it was good to hear from a professional ASL interpreter and instructor.  Ms. K also said that Savannah is always willing to help the other students in the class and that the other students have asked if Savannah could substitute for her if she ever had to miss a day of school.  :)
 The first songs Savannah started to learn were from the movie "The Greatest Showman."  She has a favorite lady on YouTube that has taught her most of these songs.  So recently she went back to this lady to learn "A Million Dreams."  Within a few days, she had the song memorized.  The reason why I captured this video of Savannah signing, was because she was actually having a hard afternoon on this particular day after school.  She was moody and feeling discouraged with how some things went at school and some upcoming assignments.  After trying to console, comfort and encourage her, I left our apartment for 10 minutes and came back to find her signing this song.  She was so happy with a light in her eyes that I hadn't seen since she had gotten home from school.  Truly, ASL makes her happy!  As her parents, we are enjoying as we watch an "interest" develop into a passion and a talent.  I may have even teared up as I was recording.  I love to see my kids happy doing what they love!

0 comments:

Post a Comment