A visit to the Junk Man


 

So the "Junk Man" is a stop everyone needs to make while living in Beijing. He seems to have it all! Junk. But someone's junk is another person's treasure right? So my good friends Jana, Amber, Amy, and Linda and I caravanned there and sifted through the junk together. These friends have been awesome to show me all of the fun shopping places! We definitely needed more time to do the place justice, but I figure I'll be here for 4 years, so I'm off to a good start. ;)  There were a lot of antiques that seemed cool but I didn't know their significance or meaning, so I'll wait on that stuff.

Jana ended up buying some doors like this. Beautiful!


 

Little Terra Cotta Warriors and other things for the garden.
Little Gordon came with Amy. It was hard to keep his little hands off of all the fun stuff!














 

I ended up getting a few fun finds: These lions, a big Buddah head with multiple mood faces, a xylophone, a Buddah cane for Bri since he has a cane fettish, and some horse hair brooms that the Chinese use to sweep.




 

So, funny story. When we got back home, Amber got out of the elevator on the first floor, and then I went up to my floor. As I was awkwardly carrying my bags of purchases out of the elevator, one of the horse hair brooms that were sticking out of my backpack, got caught on the elevator door and fell to the floor and before I could get it, it slipped so quickly and perfectly down into the crack in the floor and down the elevator shaft! I had no idea what to do except to try and go down in the elevator, floor by floor, to see if it happened to stop somewhere that I could see and retrieve it. Luckily it was white horse hair so my cell phone light caught the lightness of the hair. I saw it on the 3rd floor above the elevator door but the handle was caught on something so I couldn't get it. I called Amber and asked her if she could come and help me. I couldn't leave the elevator because I thought maybe it would move my broom if the elevator was called to a different floor and I wouldn't be able to find it again. So Amber came fast and grabbed me a chair that I could step on and I reached up and got it. I couldn't have done it without Amber's help and I'm so glad it was in a place that I could see it! It was a memorable experience since I've never had anything like this happen to me before with an elevator!

 

A week after we went to the Junk Man, Jana went back to show some new friends the place, so I asked her if she could ask about these wood-ceramic screens that I had seen there and forgot about. I took a picture of them to show Bri, and he loved them as much as I did, so Jana helped me connect with the store owner's assistant on WeChat and we worked it out to buy them and have them delivered a few days later. Now I'm just trying to figure out the appropriate place to have them inside the apartment. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment