Art for the People


Sani, in the public affairs section at the embassy, put together a wonderful outdoor display of artistic street art found around the United States.  The works were hung from walls around the embassy.  An impressive job as her last project before leaving Beijing.
My ministering sisters from church, Morgann and Jen, wanted to visit me, so I suggested we go on a tour of the art together.  I then decided to invite my friend and neighbor Amy and Jing, my Chinese-American friend from Tai Chi and Rou li qiu.Poor Jen was chasing little Ryan the whole tour!Sani told us a little about the artists and where the street art actually was painted, but she said say much about how we should interpret the paintings because the artists like for people to interpret them however they want.I appreciate how Sani was making the art free and available to everyone.  I love art and artists' perspectives on societal or political issues of our day.  They can be very powerful.  I'm glad I got to enjoy some art and some time in person with my friends!

0 comments:

Post a Comment