We got our
welcome packet from the embassy in Luanda! Besides reiterating
several times that it is literally the most expensive city in the
world, it was also pointed out that although Luanda is an exciting
place to live, this Post is considered a “critical crime threat
Post.” “Foreigners are easy to spot targets for criminals and
unfortunately car hi-jacking, break-ins, and armed robberies do
happen.” What a welcome!
Luckily,
the last few days I have attended an SOS class that they recommend
for everyone to take no matter where you get sent—Security Overseas
Seminar. Two whole days all related to security and safety. They
touched on managing your own personal security, sexual assault,
explosives, detecting surveillance, residential and road safety, fire
safety, weapons of mass destruction, hostage survival, and
evacuations. And the very last topic, was crisis and stress
management. A good way to end. :)
It was all
very ironic because on Sunday, I was talking with a new friend,
Melissa, about what I had learned from my wonderful friend Janna in
Alpine, about living life with less fear and more faith. Janna and I
talked about this often, mostly related to raising our kids. She has
a lot of experience (has nine children and she has an amazingly
pure heart, trying to live only to please God and be in tune to what
He wants her to do). Every time she opens her mouth, I wish I was
writing or recording everything she says! So I was sharing with my
new friend how I've really been trying over the last few years to
live with more faith and less fear, and to trust in God and know that I can't control everything in my life or the lives of my loved ones. And
then came...the SOS class. Can I just say that I my dreams that
night were not sweet?! They were filled with these awful images of a
car hi-jacking, explosives, and trying to escape from terrorists. :)
I
understand the purpose of these seminars, and that is not to scare us
(although they do), but to give us tools that we can use to prevent
issues from happening or know how to deal with them when they do
present themselves. For example, if someone is holding a gun to you
and asking for money or a car, you simply give them the money or the
car. End of story. You shouldn't try to drive or run away, etc. However, if someone is trying to kidnap or sexually assault you, you
fight back and make them wish they never met you and you may have a
chance of surviving. It all seemed very surreal though as I looked
through my notebook that I was writing in, and saw the other entries
I've made over the last few years. Things on parenting from my
parenting class, missionary work, teaching and working with the
youth, LDS conference talks, etc. And now here in addition to those,
I had notes on detecting surveillance from terrorists along with
hostage survival and explosives. I nervously laughed and said to
myself, “Yep, this is my life now!”
The kids on the other hand, were in a Young Diplomats Overseas Preparation class down the hall for those two days. They learned about U.S. and World Symbols, Basic Manners, Safety, the Embassy Role and Structure, and Exploring New Posts. On my breaks, I would sneak a peek to see fun with hoola hoops and even the Bernstein Bears teaching about manners. They had a blast! They were so excited to go back the second day. It was nice that they even had kids in their class that they recognized from our apartment complex.
We all had a lunch break at the same time, including Briant. So it was fun to eat with Dad in his everyday element and do a little "lunch homework" that the kids had.
| Happy "Diplokids," as their teacher called them. |
| They got their own fake Diplomatic Passport books with a bunch of fun pages inside, including a vaccination page and Visa. |
0 comments: