Learning more about Africa

This map puts the size of Africa into perspective!
And now just looking at Angola, you can see how large it is compared to the United States.
Briant got a few books last night about Africa at Barnes and Noble while he was out grocery shopping.  We're going to read one together called, "Africa...Altered States, Ordinary Miracles," by Richard Dowden.  Should educate us a little bit before we go.  I'm focused at the moment on trying to get the allowed 2,500 pounds of consumables ready to ship with our HHE in the next few weeks so we'll have our stuff sooner than later.  It will take about 3-4 months to get our belongings, so I'm trying to make it more like 2 months without our stuff by the time we get there.  Maybe by Christmas, but I'll try not to have that expectation in case.  We're allowed 2,500 pounds of consumables which I'm told should be focused on liquids we will need for the next 2 years:  shampoo, medicines, cleaning supplies, detergents, food, etc.  Even peanut butter is considered to be a liquid, and anything over 16 oz. cannot be shipped if I need something later.  So I'm trying to figure out what we will not want to live without.  Not really easy when you're limited by weight, but I'm grateful that we have this allowance.  With Luanda being expensive, this should help our grocery bill and also help us to have the food we want when we want it.  Because everything is imported there, you never know what will be on the grocery store shelves.  
Another focus is getting our passports and vaccinations done.  We need these done for obvious reasons, but also for registration at the international school in Luanda that my kids will attend.  They have a deadline for us that we need to meet.  I have a laundry list full of things to do before we leave in October.  It's overwhelming me at the current moment, but I know I can do a lot of this after the kids start school here in a few weeks.  Breathe...  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment