National Museum of American History

Saturday we made another metro trip into the Mall and went to the National Museum of American History.  I was very excited about it since we had studied a lot of history in homeschooling this past year and I wanted the kids to actually see a collection of items from these historical periods that we studied.  

This is just a pretty tree that is all over here in Virginia & D.C.
I love that it still has beautiful blossoms even in the middle of August and still going strong!
 I still don't know the name of it yet.  :)
 



There was obviously a lot featured in the museum, but here are a few things that we were able to see:
Joseph Smith was featured here on the Expansion and Reformation board along with the "Sunstone Capital" of the old Nauvoo temple.  The kids actually recognized it right away and pointed it out to me--those good primary teachers!

 
Dorothy's shoes from the Wizard of Oz.   Rhea couldn't just smile huh?
They had a wonderful Revolutionary War Exhibit.
The "Whites only" lunch counter at the Woolworth store in Greensboro, N.C. where 4 black men sat down and were ignored and denied service.   A well-known story of the civil rights movement.
I love that this "scene" has been preserved for our posterity.
George Washington's!
George Washington's camping gear!
The actual chairs and table where General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant to end the Civil War (Grant sat in the one with the back cushion).  Again, I am shocked that things like these have been preserved for us to see today!


After the Civil War exhibit we decided to leave because the kids had reached their limit.  They're good for about an hour and a half before they start to really shut down.  We'll have to go back for sure.  We went outside and decided to hang out in the fresh air and kick around on the grass before we got back on the metro.  The weather conditions were perfect.  It's hard for the kids to pass up on an opportunity to do gymnastics in a large field, make floral wreaths, and chase squirrels up trees (and there are a lot of them here!).    



0 comments:

Post a Comment