We knew before we arrived in Angola that we would need to attend the Marine Ball a week after we got here. So my last week in Virginia was spent running around trying to find a formal dress. It of course was difficult to find one that met the modesty standards that I wanted, but with wonderful alteration help from my friend Ashley, it turned out great! Our generous sponsors, Heather and Scott, invited us to go to the Marine ball with them and to bring our kids over to stay with their kids and the nanny while we were gone. A very generous and helpful offer especially because we didn't know what to do about babysitting. They live in a house because Heather has a very important position as the Deputy Chief of Mission, and rank determines your housing. It was a nice change for a night from the apartment living that we've been doing since July in Virginia and now here, for the kids. They love having a place to run around a little more freely and noisily. :) It was a Saturday night, so they offered to have us stay and sleep there at their house again because the music from the club would be keeping us awake after the ball. This plan worked out beautifully since the kids would already be sleeping and we wouldn't have to wake them up to go home.
Every year, the Marines celebrate the birthday of their
founding. They reflect on the service
they have given since it’s organization.
They celebrate by having a “Marine Ball.” It cost us $150 per ticket, which went to
paying for the party. The ceremony was
fun to watch as they honored those that have served. The ambassador was the guest of honor so we
had the opportunity to hear from her as well. As
we were excused to get our food at the buffet tables, the ambassador came up to
me and introduced herself and apologized for our housing situation with the
club music that is keeping us awake. She
was genuine in her offer to have us stay at her house so we could catch up on
sleep. I told her that I have three
monkeys, I mean children, so we probably wouldn’t take her up on her offer but
I thanked her. She continued to insist
that it wouldn’t be a bother to her. It
was very kind of her, especially because I know how busy she is. I was just amazed that she made it a point to
come up and talk with me. I appreciated it even more because that day I was feeling exhausted from the earlier three nights of music coming from the club that week, and I knew that we would be getting home late from the ball also. Trying to figure out what to do with my hair, what jewelry to wear, etc. was the last thing I wanted to do that day! It all worked out though, and I survived the night and had a great time meeting new people.
| Guest of honor, Ambassador Helen LaLime. Her resume and Portuguese are amazing! |
| Meeting the Ambassador for my first time when she generously offered to have us stay at her house. |
| The tired booters we found when we got home. They're so cute when they're asleep! Thanks to Rory for sharing his bed! |
Just US | November 9, 2014 at 2:54 AM
I love your dress!