Church

We are lucky enough to have a local LDS church branch here in Luanda.  There are actually two branches.  Most Angolans are Christian, so we fit right in.  A few of our drivers have been Protestant, but Catholics have a strong presence here too.  A major landmark in the center of the city is "A Igreja Sagrada," a Catholic church.  We noticed on our drive home as people were leaving their churches, that the church attenders actually wear "uniforms," as our driver called them, to church.  The Protestants all dress alike, the Catholics dress alike, etc.  I asked him what the purpose of the uniforms was and he said that they make it easier to tell which church people go to and then he pointed out a group of Protestants and a group of Catholics.  I thought that the idea of uniforms was interesting but wondered how, or if, it affects the unity in the community if they emphasize their religious differences every week through wearing uniforms as they walk in the streets.

We had no idea what to expect the first time we attended church.  Having served my mission in Brooklyn and Queens, NY though, I was prepared for a "non-traditional" looking church.  We were driving on a very busy road called "Vinte um de Janeiro," when our driver pulled over next to some parked cars and let us out (still in the road of course because there was nowhere to park).  This was it!  I looked at the sign right away to make sure that our driver took us to the right place.  It was indeed the name of our church on the sign.
  
Directly inside the large green doors is this courtyard area.  The white open door is where the Relief Society meets.  Primary, Priesthood, and Relief Society are the first hour of our meetings.
Inside the Relief Society room--it is a small room.  The air conditioning has been working luckily even though the lights flicker on and off during the meeting.  Flies and other pests make their way in every now and then but they luckily haven't been too obnoxious.  We usually have about 15-18 women attend.
The hallway that leads from the R.S. room, the restrooms, and the stairs that take you to all of the other rooms
Restrooms--for some reason the floor is always covered in a little water and mud.  Not the most hygienic of places.  :) The big blue water tank on top of the roof supplies the water.
There are three flights of stairs that take you up one level to the Gospel Essentials and other Sunday school classes, along with primary, and then on up to the top level where we have our Sacrament meetings in the chapel.
Gospel Essentials class and baptismal font
The chapel for Sacrament meeting.  There is a podium and a few chairs up front for the Branch Presidency and on the left is the Sacrament table.  Yes these are plastic, non-cushioned chairs.  We have had a few little girls come and hang out with us during the meeting.  I had a three year-old on my lap the whole meeting this last Sunday, completely entertained by my head-set and Thomas' scripture cards.  The local kids love to touch and play with my girls' hair too.  They are amazed by how straight and smooth it feels.  At the same time, my kids want to touch their hair too!  My kids are also teaching them some hand games.  It's an activity that doesn't use a lot of talking...just copying.  So it works.  Needless to say, we've had a few distractions. :)  I don't mind though because I love that these Angolan children are feeling comfortable with my kids and my kids are loving their Angolan brothers and sisters.
Briant was asked to play the Casio keyboard piano that is sitting along the wall on the right.
This is the view from one of the windows.
One of the two companionships of missionaries in the branch.  Elder Cook from Idaho and Elder Alfredo from Mozambique, another Portuguese speaking country, in southeast Africa.


  There could be many reasons for my kids to complain about their experience at church.  But I have to compliment them and say that they, again, have gone with the flow.  This is being demanded of them a lot every day, and has been since we left Utah 4 1/2 months ago!  But they continue to handle all of the "different" and "unique" situations and experiences that come.  The meetings are all in Portuguese, so they really haven't understood very much except in Sacrament where we have been given some borrowed head sets.  One of the missionaries translates for us in English on a short-wave radio transmitter, so the kids and I are understanding most of what happens the last hour of church.  Sadly the headsets are going to be returned one of these days to the American owner who is attending a different branch.  We will then have to purchase our own at $160 each.  The main transmitter and microphone that the missionary uses cost $450, and is going to be donated by one of the members of the branch that works for BP.  His wife does not speak Portuguese either.  If the speakers would just speak more slowly, I could almost understand them!

Briant and I received callings, or a voluntary assignment, to serve in the branch.  Briant was asked to be the missionary prep teacher and assistant branch mission leader.  He is so excited!  There are a number of boys that are at the age, 17-18, where they could start thinking about and preparing for missions.  This is awesome.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of people attending the branch (about 125 or so), and also the number of Priesthood holders.  It seems like the number of women to men is almost equal.  On my mission in NYC, we were always lacking in Priesthood holders so we're glad to see the men so active in the branch here.  As far as my callings go, I will be a substitute teacher for the English primary class that they are creating, basically for my kids and other ex-pat families that move into the branch.  I'm also going to be the Employment specialist.  I'm not sure how this calling will work because I'm so new here and don't know everyone yet, or speak the language fluently.  But as with all callings, I will be relying on the Lord for help to know how He wants me to fulfill this assignment.  The branch president encouraged me to continue studying Portuguese so that I will be able to serve in other capacities in the primary in the future also.  I will probably attend Briant's missionary prep class on Sundays too and try to be a support there.

Briant has been attending singing time with the kids in Primary to help them if they need it.  On our first Sunday there, he said that the chorister called all the boys up to the front to sing, "We'll Bring the World His Truth," in Portuguese of course.  (http,s://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/well-bring-the-world-his-truth-army-of-helaman?lang=eng).  Thomas was shy, but participated by singing in English.  Briant was trying to relate this experience to me but he kept getting choked up.  He was finally able to explain that this experience reminded him of his mission in Brazil when he was 19 or 20 years old.  He said that the primary chorister in Brazil asked him to play this song on the piano for the children because they had never heard it before.  And here he was now, sitting in Angola, singing the same song in Portuguese, with his own children.  A sweet experience for him.

Not surprisingly, at the same time, I was in Relief Society experiencing my own rush of emotion as we sang "As Sisters in Zion" (https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/as-sisters-in-zion-women?lang=eng). The sisters gave me a warm welcome and then we sang this for the opening song.  I barely got 10 words out before I felt overcome by the Spirit.  My eyes filled with tears as I sang.  I had to stop singing so I could regain my composure a few times so the ladies wouldn't notice my emotion.  Here I was in Angola singing a song that I have come to love over the years as a member of the Relief Society.  It hit me that these same words that have meant so much to me have meant, and do mean, the same to these women on the continent of Africa!  I belong to a true world-wide sisterhood through my membership in the church, and I felt that these sisters that I had only just met had that same faith and testimony and aspiration to live the values embodied in the words of this song.  I sat there with gratitude in my heart that I could be so far from "home" and yet still feel the unity and love of the Relief Society sisters despite my inability to communicate freely with them.  The Spirit communicates and unifies.  The love of our Heavenly Father and Savior communicates and unifies.  And our shared desire to do Their will unifies.

   As Sisters in Zion:
   1.  As sisters in Zion, we'll all work together,
   The blessings of God on our labors we'll seek.
   We'll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
   We'll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.

      2.  The errand of angels is given to women;
      And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
      To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
      To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.

      3.  How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
      If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
      Oh, naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition
      Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.


0 comments:

Post a Comment