A week after arriving in Latvia, still a little tired from jetlag and adapting to new beds and the embassy welcome kit blankets and pillows, or should I say, "sandpaper," we ventured out on the train to a national park called Valguma Pasaule with some of our LDS branch members. We couldn't find a taxi that would take us on a Saturday morning from our house to the train station in Babite. I finally decided to wake up Tracey, our embassy friend that lives on the next street over, to get a ride. We hurried there, and then waited for the delayed train because of a bomb threat. That was how the day started. ;)



We arrived at the train station in Smarde about 45 minutes later. It seemed a little deserted and run down in this very rural area. We had no idea how we were getting from there to the park, but then a branch member, who we didn't know, showed up and started talking to us. To make sure there wasn't any miscommunication and to make sure he really was from the branch, I made a phone call to one of the missionaries and I put them on the phone together and then the missionary reassured that he was. Can't be too careful, especially in a new country where you don't speak the language!We followed this Brother to his grandparents' home where we met some other branch members before we headed to the park. They were from the Russian branch actually, so Briant was able to communicate with them.
Even with some communication, we were still very vague on the details of how we were getting to the park because it was going to be a walk of 2-3 miles. In our tired state, I knew the kids wouldn't make it. So we were relieved when after a half mile or so, the missionaries passed us in a taxi that they sent back to us to get us. ;)
We arrived, hung out playing Frisbee with the elders, and then started the barefoot hike. Here we are taking our shoes off.
There were all kinds of surfaces that challenged the "toughness" of our skin and spirits. Bark, pebbles, gravel, river rock, clay, mud, wood, etc. The kids were amazing, pushing through all of the surfaces without complaint, while Bri and I lingered behind a little, slowly working through the pokier surfaces. About half-way through, my feet would have no more of the harder surfaces and I did what I could to walk around them! I was so impressed with my kids!
Ahhh, nice soft mud!
The crazy spiral--walk in and then you walk the path all over again to get out. I sat out on this one! It had a mixture of a few different textures, but was mostly gravel which my feet didn't like. Again, I was amazed at my kids and Bri who trudged right through it!
Elder and Sister Barnes sat out too. Great couple who we discovered we have connections with to friends and family!
Beautiful setting and scenery that made all of the "suffering" worth it. ;)
All of the different surfaces we walked on correlated with a Chakra of the body. Bri and I felt like our Chakras were upset with us after the hike, so I'm not sure if I believe it! ;)
Washing up to go. Of course we had to get ice cream after before heading back home.
Luckily we caught a ride back to the house that we first went to in the morning where everyone gathered for chicken kebabs and sides. The kebabs were amazing!
Helping out with a baby while the mom helped prepare food.
After getting some nourishment, we walked the short distance to the station and hoped we could get on without a ticket because the ticket office was empty. Luckily we were able to purchase the tickets on the train. After the long ride home, we had to go to the Spice mall to get school supplies for the kids that they insisted they needed on Monday. It was pouring rain at that point back in Riga, and for some reason we had a particularly hard time finding a taxi that would drive all 5 of us home, so by the time we found a ride home, we were wet and really tired. We slept well that night!
0 comments: