Covid-19 Online Schooling

We are living through history--a worldwide pandemic.  These are unprecedented times in our lives.  This virus began in Wuhan, China and is now worldwide. It's hard to remember the exact timing, but the first week of March when I started taking Mandarin classes at FSI, we started hearing more and more about Covid-19 in the U.S. and Bri and I started wondering how this was going to affect our family.  Sure enough, by the end of the next week, Falls Church Public Schools were closed for one month.  They said they would reopen April 14th after spring break.  I remember being at FSI on one of my breaks in between classes when I received the text from the school district and feeling distraught that the kids would be home for a whole month doing school, especially because I had just started full time Mandarin.  Little did I know that an announcement about 10 days later would confirm that schools would actually be closed for the rest of the school year!   
Again, a few weeks later came the announcement that school (meaning online homeschool school) would end two weeks earlier than planned with an end date of June 4th instead of the 17th.  All around, this school year is not at all what the parents or kids expected!  Luckily I had the experience of homeschooling the girls last year in Latvia (and when we lived in Utah), so quarantining at home here with the kids doing online school seems all too familiar to when we schooled in our quiet little house in Pinki, Latvia.  The internet and social media are flooded with hilarious video clips and memes representing how parents are feeling by being home all day and possibly working from home while also helping them do online schooling.  A few of my favorites that keep me laughing: 
We've never heard of a school stomach, but we're definitely going to be using that in futureBrb while we investigate whether Alexa has any lesson plans
I feel blessed that we've "been there, done that" and the girls were awesome with homeschooling last year, so they know the drill.  It's even better this time though because I'm not the teacher asking them to do the assignments.  :)  Savannah has used some boxes to create a desk for herself so she can sit on her bed when she wants.
And Rhea is all over the place.  It depends on the day and how her bedroom is arranged and what activities she's doing.  ;)Falls Green continues to provide wonderful activities during the day for kids virtually through Zoom.  So all of Rhea's favorite classes like yoga class with Ms. Laurie is continuing, along with a craft class and Zumba.  They're still offering Zumba and other exercise classes for adults as well.  How many different ways can Rhea rearrange her room?!?!?The kids seem to be finishing their school assignments in just a few hours, so of course Thomas has plenty of time to play video games.  We parents keep reminding him that there are other hobbies, talents, and interests of his life that he can develop right now.  Piano, computer design, cooking, writing, serving others, family history, and even things he's never tried are all possibilities.  So he's been sprinkling a few of those into his schedule now and then.  ;) 
And wonderful people are creating new websites or temporary free access to online programs and classes for kids like quarantineacademy.com that gives fun online classes two days a week for kids and adults on different topics.  Rhea just learned a Bollywood dance a few days ago and I listened to a lady speak about her amazing experience with helping refugees.
I am hitting high mileage every day with my fit bit keeping track of my efforts to get out of the apartment (I hit 23,000 steps the other day which is 10.5 miles!), and the kids are having fun riding their Ripstiks at the Oakwood cemetery where I also enjoy walking.  After Briant's Mandarin classes, we hit the road for a walk too so he can stretch his legs.  Somehow I think we'll survive this! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment